20

After the kiss

After the kiss...

What the fuck?

What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fuck?

What the fuck was going through my mind when I decided to kiss — no makeout with her?

I run a hand down my face and sigh when I know I'm out of Maya and Micah's fields of vision. Why would I allow myself to do something like that when I have a job to do.

I had to kill her. That was my job. One shot and I'd be over. I'd be a 500K richer, as would Nisha, and Lacey would be gone.

The world would move on.

And hell, after what she said to me earlier, I don't even think she'd be all that upset about it.

But I couldn't do it. "She's a killer" I told myself. "She's a murder" I repeated in my head, like a broken record. But I couldn't do it.

I don't know what I'm feeling, disappointment? Embarrassment?

All I know is that as much as I can't allow myself to be with Maya, I can't bring myself to kill her either.

And there's only one way to avoid killing her now that I've signed my name to the hit.

Kill the costumer. It's the only way to ensure my reputation won't take a hit.

Pun intended.

Present time...

It sit on the other end on my bed, doing work on my laptop, when Maya finally stirs. She turns to face me, her curled hair covering most of her features. Her purple sundress rides up to her upper thigh and I stare at the exposed skin for a couple seconds before covering it with the blanket and returning back to my work.

A few minutes later she sniffles, sitting up abruptly and frantically looking around. Her panicked eyes land on me and they relax a little, "What's going on? Where am I?"

Her face contorts into one of pain and she whimpers softly, holding her stomach.

"Nisha found you in an alley yesterday at like eleven thirty, didn't remember where you lived so I brought you back here." I say, only glancing at her before going back to writing up my email.

She nods reaching into the pocket of her dress, I hold up the orange bottle of little pills that rolled out of her pocket last night. "Looking for these?"