06

I WATCH AS she beams and she smiles bigger than anyone I've ever seen

The most gorgeous fucking smile I've ever seen.

Stop.

People don't smile around me. At least not for long. Except for her. She's always fucking smiling. It pisses me off.

I mean sure, the girls I hooked up with smirked at me, laughed a little to hard when I said something that they thought was a joke and put on whatever the fuck the face that that bitch had on earlier- Amber I think... Ava? Anyway, they put one that hideous expression to get me into bed, but it was never genuine.

I hadn't given Maya bigger raise than I've ever given just to see her smile. I pitied her. That's why she's making more than anyone else in the building. Because she's pathetic. Not because I wanted to see that smile.

Her shoulders slump in relief and I can almost see the weight lifting off of her.

The satisfaction is short lived though because as if she truly processes my words, her grin shrinks into a barely there, grateful half smile as she hands me back one of the hundreds. Her shoulders tense up again, she looks so disappointed. "I can't-" she stops herself as her voice cracks.

I hear the deep breath she takes before speaking again. "I can't tell you, how much that offer made my day..." she pauses, pushing the hundred back towards me. Her smile falters and I can tell she doesn't want to say what's about to come out of her mouth.

Her lips tilt up again, but it's not the same. It doesn't reach her eyes. It look so forced. "But I can't take this. I make 19.50. I shouldn't even be payed for today, let alone get a raise. Especially not a ten dollar one. Give it to Nisha. She deserves it much more than I do."

I rest my body against the door frame as I observe her. "I didn't give Nisha a raise, I gave you one." Nishas my best friend. She doesn't need a ten dollar raise at her cover job. But I don't tell her that.

"It's sweet, really I appreciate i-"

"Then take it." I cut her off.

She shakes her head, "I can't."

I grow agitated. I don't don't nice things. The raise was on impulse but the fact that she was refusing it pissed me off even more. I hate stubborn people. "Why the fuck not?"

"I didn't work for it."

"Then come work for it." I say as I open the door. The VIP rooms were really just private rooms that I used to do deals or hits, but it just so happened that I needed a new supplier and had decided to host a poker night to warm him up before approaching him with a proposal. "Waitress for us."