Chapter Fifteen: Pride

I wrap a towel around my waist, feeling refreshed. The shower seemed to soften 'it'.

I turn to look in the mirror once again, but can only see a blurred version of myself because to the resulting steam. I brush my teeth, and hop in the bed, still wearing only a towel due to my lack of pajamas, or any other clothes for that matter. What am I even going to wear? Remembering Miguel's enhanced hearing, I shout "pajamas??!" to my ceiling. From the other room, I hear a grunt followed by "Are you a fucking toddler? Why would you need 'pajamas'? Dios mio. There's a robe on the bathroom door." Slightly embarrassed, slightly amused, I get off the bed to put on the robe. It's comfortable and light-weight.

As I lay down, my thoughts get loud and full. Questions and lies and hopes mix together in a disgusting pit of self-pity, cured only by slumber.

_____________________________________

Before I even realize it, I am fast asleep. In a dream. But I've never been a lucid dreamer, so it's a new sensation to know I'm dreaming while I am.

I'm in an endless white, with no floor or ceiling, just me, floating there. But as my feet hit a 'ground', I look up to see Miguel. He says nothing as he looms over me, even taller than in reality. On his face is an expression unreadable, in between understanding and lust.

It's an expression seemingly made for him. His features paint together as an art piece while he's frozen in this expression. Dazed by the beauty of it, I reach out my hand and stroke my thumb along his chin line. He remains unmoved.

I snap out of the trance I'm in, and look up at him once again.

And I am horrified.

One small change, perhaps a twitch of his eyebrow or the outline of a smile, makes his expression simply heart-wrenching.

His eyes now look far past me, and instead to something far, far away.

I turn around to check, and as I do, my surroundings turn pitch black, and the ground under me disappears. Instead of just floating, I fall, my heart pumping in my ears.

And then I wake up.

Or, more accurately, get woken up.

_____________________________________
A/N: that's Celphius at the top (drawing by me ;-))

btw I KNOW he looks like 70 but I swear he's the same age as Miguel he's just aging fast bc he's white and stressed 💔