Chapter 17: In That Case

He looks down at the breakfast, surprise washing over his face. "Where'd you even get this food from?" He glances towards his fridge and pantry, that contained only water.

"I went out. I've been in this neighborhood before, so it wasn't hard to find anything."

"What? How long have you been awake for?" He huffs.

"A while." I sigh out.
He pinches the bridge of his nose.
"Well, thank you." he replies with a condescending air, which in my opinion, is better than arrogance. By a little.

Maybe he's just trying to make up for the fact that he was so sensitive last night.

_____________________________________

He finishes his breakfast slowly, and then stands up and stretches his arms above his head.

"I need to perform another check-up on you. It'll be quick."

He looks at me for a second, and then lifts his shirt over his head.

The bruises have gotten substantially better, making me hope that they'll be healed by tomorrow. The healing rate of a spider-person is insane. Not to say that the technology here isn't insane, too.

I walk over to him, and lightly tap them. As I do, he flinches and breaths a long breath out.

"How much did that hurt?"

"It-" I smile up at him. "Oh, fuck you."

"No 'shock'?"

He looks me dead in the eyes as a response.

"...Anyways, you're allowed to stretch today, but again, no exercising until tomorrow."

He sighs out an "ok."

I grin to myself, happy that he's such a good listener.

He walks back to his room, and as his door closes, my face becomes one of terror. Did I just have a normal conversation with Miguel? We almost sounded as if we were friends—- that's fucking insane.

When did I get so comfortable with him?
Is it just because we're both secretly spiderman? Or because I heard (and saw) him 'break character'?

Or maybe because he's just not in a shitty mood.

I guess yesterday really was simply a bad day for him. But if mood swings happened like that all the time, then I understand Peter and Jess's concern.

I sit down on the counter, lean back, and sigh. As I do, I let a smile creep across my face.

This was actually pretty fun.

I tried to live a busy yet dull life to keep my mind busy but still not reward me, so this change made my heart feel weightless. To be around people, even if scary, to have a crush, and to have a purpose was really all I feel I need in life. I'd be happy if I died tomorrow.

_____________________________________
A/N: I haven't touched this for a while so uploads will be SLOOOW but love you all if you're continuing to read 🙏🙏🙏🤍🤍