All the Wrong Moves

"Are you even going to eat that?" Jack asked Ivy as they sat at their table in the cafeteria for lunch with their friends

Ivy looked down at the school's mashed potatoes. "No, they look like they are already starting to stick to the plate."

Jack grabbed his fork and tried to lift the potatoes off the plate, getting the plate to come up with it. "What are they feeding us?"

"Guys," Jerry ran into the cafeteria joining his friends at the table with a wide smile on his face. "I got us the opportunity of a lifetime. We're gonna be rich!"

"For the last time," Milton sighed, exhausted with his friend, "your mom's car has a leak. There's no oil under your house."

"No, I signed us up for The Battle of the Dance Crews competition at the mall," Jerry held up the poster for the competition. "Check it."

"Whoa," Kim's eyes grew as she read the reward. "First prize wins $1,000."

"It's not just about the money," Jerry argued. "I've always loved dancing. You know, when I was a baby, my mom hung a disco ball over my crib."

"Did it ever fall on your head?" Jack asked, chuckling to himself.

Jerry looked around confused. "Did what ever fall on my head?"

"Jerry, that sounds great," Eddie spoke up, "but we're not a dance crew."

"I have the skills and I'll teach you the moves," Jerry explained his plan. "And if we work hard, we can win this together. Now what do you say?"

Everyone except for Ivy agreed to do it, causing them to look at the girl who went very quiet during the conversation.

"Ivy, are you in?" Jerry asked, never knowing how the girl will answer.

"We'll see," Ivy shrugged, earning grins from her friends.

"Okay. Jerry, you got yourself a crew," Jack high-fived Jerry.

"Wasabi?" Jerry asked, getting everyone at the table to nod.

"Wasabi."

***

"Is this just me or are these falafel balls greasier than usual?" Jack asked Ivy and Jerry as they picked at their food. He picked up a piece of his food and squeezed it, getting a bunch of grease to leave the falafel ball.

"No, that looks about right," Jerry shrugged, sitting across from Jack and Ivy.

"That's worse than my mashed potatoes from earlier," Ivy cringed, handing Jack a napkin.

"Hey, check it out," Jerry pointed toward a guy that walked into the restaurant. "That's Dan Brennan. He's the best dancer at our school. They call him smooth."

"Weird," Ivy shook her head.

"Because he's got great dance moves?" Jack asked.

Jerry nodded. "And his skin's crazy soft. Yo, we're talking velvet."