Chapter 46- Engagement Party

Months had passed since Iroh and I became engaged. I loved the word "fiancé" so much that I could wait to marry Iroh just so I could say it all the time.

It turned out that Iroh had asked my family for their blessing before proposing to me, and I was genuinely surprised that my father, let Iroh propose to his first child.

After Iroh proposed, I said yes, of course. I'm not crazy, guys.

I called up Asami, who was thrilled for us. She shared the news with the brothers, and Bolin was especially excited. Varrick, being his eccentric self, even wanted to make a movie about our engagement. At that point, the whole Republic city knew.

I contacted Korra, who was still recovering in the South Pole from the tragic events.

I informed her about the engagement party that Iroh and I were planning to have. But, she declined the invitation, explaining that she wasn't feeling up to it. She felt embarrassed to show her face in public, and since the Fire Nation Royal palace is highly visible, she preferred not to attend. While I understood her reasons, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of disappointment.

However, my friends from Republic City were all able to attend, and I eagerly awaited their arrival in three...two..one

"Fara!" Soon enough, Bolin and the rest of the crew entered the palace, escorted by guards.

"Bolin!" I greeted him with a smile, bowing slightly.

Bolin playfully smacked my hand away and enveloped me in a tight hug. "The Fire Nation is making you too formal! Give me a hug!"

We laughed as I returned his hug, and Mako greeted me next, offering his congratulations.

"Thank you, Mako," I replied, touched by his words.

I looked around, expecting to see Asami, "Where's Asami?"

"Oh, she wasn't able to make it today, she's been having some issues with her company, but she said she'll make it way before the party!" Bolin explained.

"Oh, okay."

Varrick entered the room with Zhu Li by his side, and his usual dramatic flair. "Wowza! Can you believe I've never been here?"

Zhu Li, as pragmatic as always, reminded him, "Sir, we aren't even supposed to be here. You're banned from entering this nation due to-"

Varrick interrupted her, playfully hushing her. "Zip it, Zhu Li! Are you really airing my business like this?"

Everyone exchanged amused glances. Of course he had somehow managed to get himself banished from a nation he had never even visited before.

Varrick then walked over to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Fara, congratulations! Where's the hubby?"

I playfully swatted his hand. "Oh, you know, Iroh. Busy guy. He'll be home soon."

Right on cue, Iroh had walked in through the door with Uncle Bumi, they were chuckling and having a lighthearted conversation.

"Kiddo!" Uncle Bumi exclaimed, pulling me into a bear hug. "Oh, spirits, you're all grown up now."

I smiled mischievously as Uncle Bumi complimented me.

Uncle Bumi struck a confident pose, arms crossed over his chest and legs spread wide. "You know, I always knew you two would end up together. Iroh wouldn't stop talking about my gorgeous niece when we served in the army. Boy, he had it bad."

"He still does," Iroh coughed out.

I chuckled and playfully punched Iroh's shoulder. "That's cute."

Uncle Bumi paused for a moment, suddenly concerned. "Wait, your mother isn't here, right?" he asked Iroh.