Thirteen | The Prince

Devika :

Devika :

FOR MOMENTS he stood in silence before lying back on the bed with his book.

For moments I sat in silence, letting the words that I had heard sink in.

"You loved Anamika a lot?", I asked.
He glanced at me, removing the book.
"I appreciate silence while reading.", He stated coldly.
"You loved her a lot, didn't you?", I asked, now finally glancing at him.
He exhaled sharply, shutting his book loudly.

"I think I made myself clear, Devika Leela Kanwar.", He stated coldly keeping the book on the side table.
I drew in a deep breath, and lay back on the bed, right beside him.

He turned his back towards me, almost at a hands distance.

For moments there was an awkward silence and then I heard him,

"Aviram Raghuvanshi?"

"Hmm..", he said irritably.

"I am sorry about Nayantara today.", I said.
I was not thinking anymore. The words just seemed to roll out.
The sympathy seemed to overwhelm me. I felt pity for the so called beast.

He immediately turned towards me.
I turned my head to look at him.

"You don't have to apologise. Not an ounce. I know she crossed the line.", He said simply.

I heaved a sigh.

Should I tell him? Holding a thing as that back seemed to get difficult with every passing moment.

"You were around when she was born?", I asked turning towards him.

The lights of the room, flickered for a moment. And then went off.
A power cut.
The golden sunlight flooded in, the sun was setting outside. The window was right behind me, the sunlight fell on his face. His dark brown eyes didn't seem bothered by it. He simply looked at me.
Unreadable.

And then he looked away. At the window behind me.

"Of course.", He whispered.
"Must be a beautiful experience.", I said softly.
Somehow my voice trembled at the last word.
His lips curved into a soft smile. The man was so undeniably handsome. Even with that moustache and ever so arrogant face, he was handsome.
My heart skipped a beat as I looked at him.

"Beautiful is an understatement.", He whispered, as if in a daze. A beautiful day dream.
"I was so nervous. I was just twenty back then. Child marriage and all.", He said sitting up, like an excited child.
I sat up too.
"But the moment I held her..", he looked down at his hands, as if reminiscing the scene.
"It was magic.. you won't believe the feeling.. I was just a kid.. and now, I was abruptly an adult. Anamika.. she too was so young.. but..", he exhaled.