Twenty Two | Ram - Leela

Devika :

Devika :

He had dozed off, yet again, under the effect of pain killers.
I quitely sat down beside him on the hospital bed. Nayantara had messaged me on Instagram saying "Keep him in your house".

Although I did not understand the context of her care and concern for him, I was glad.
I glanced at Aviram. He looked so sweet and loving when he was asleep. I awkwardly realised that he was, after all, my husband. The man I should be in love with.

Yet, I could make no sense of my recent feeling.

It had been a week since he was admitted. The doctors themselves were so concerned for him. Turns out, he had financed some of their educations too.

"He is the King that every place deserves, Rani Sa.", The nurse had said a while ago.
They behaved like they were serving their God.
Yet, when I met him for the first time, he behaved like he was the coldest man in existence. His behaviour was so confusing.

I bent towards him, carefully brushing back his hair with my fingers. I somehow enjoyed doing it. I felt my lips curve into a smile, our faces only inches apart, yet I did not feel any awkwardness. It felt like I had known and loved him for births altogether.

"We will go home, Raja ji.", I whispered before edging away.

This was not Ramayan, I knew it. A story of such brutal betrayal could only be Mahabharat.
And I must react accordingly.

"Di, you should go home now. Babuji and I will stay here.", Chutki said, walking into the room. I nodded and stood up, drawing in a deep breath.

I glanced at Aviram one last time, before I walked out.

I walked out of the hospital and pulled out my phone from my purse. I called up the number Nayantara had given me.

"Hello?", I heard her voice.
"I have a plan.", I said plainly.
There was a pause and then her tone turned into a hushed whisper.

"Tell me.", She said.
"It's Gurumaa. That Vinay thinks he is very smart but if we can turn his mother against him, it might help.", I said.
Nayan paused for a moment, reconsidering.

"You are right. Gurumaa is not quite happy with Papa being thrown out. She has been agitated ever since she walked in.", Nayan said thoughtfully.

"I will do whatever needs to be done. Just keep me informed of the palace. How long are you here for?", I asked.
"A month. We are a team..", she said and paused awkwardly.
"What?"
"What should I call you? You are my father's wife, I can't call you by your name. Anyways our equation hasn't been the best.", She said, awkwardly.
I drew in a deep breath.

The insult still burned in the back of mind, but she was an ally.
His daughter, as both of them believed.

"You will call me Maa. Is that okay?", I said clearly.
There was a pause.
"Yes. Thank you..", she said, gulped and finally added, "Maa."