Chapter 2: A little test.

After her little performance, Millie requests to use the pool which is now ready with enough warm water to cover her belly and give her some much-needed comfort. I help her to settle in, tying her hair in a bun so her locks don't bother her by sticking to her wet face before washing my hands for the millionth time tonight.

"Lily, darling, why don't you take a short break? Eat something, perhaps?" Sarah suggests, "I'll look after her, and I promise to call you should anything change."

I don't want to leave Millie's side, not if I can help it, but my best friend interjects before I can even form a reply in my head. "Go, you'll feel better after. We're not going anywhere. Maybe you could bring us a cup of tea on your way back?" she enquires tentatively.

Even though I don't want to go, I do feel that some fresh air and food will help me face the night we have ahead. I nod quickly, leaving a kiss on top of my best friend's head, before opening the door. Jesse jumps up, and, before I can even realise what he is doing, he slips past me stating he needs the loo.

"Lily, I don't want to see my sister birthing a baby," he shrills as soon as we are out of the room, and I slap my hand on his mouth to shush him as he's basically shouting. "Ouch," he cries against my palm.

"When it's time, I'll keep you out, I promise, but I think she needs your support now. And so does Nick... he is an unhealthy shade of green, bless him."

"And I will support her," he nods in agreement, "until you guys need her vajayjay on display."

I snort again at the new nickname, and, before I can stop myself, I turn to him, "clear something up for me, will you?" he doesn't reply but stares at me so I continue, "when you're in the heat of the moment, lust taking over you, ready to bury yourself inside one of those conquests you take home, with whom I have to make small talks in the morning by the way, do you tell them how much you love their dripping altar of love? Vajayjay? Or do you use flower?" I raise my brows at him, mocking him. If I had to bet, I would say flower, and I have a feeling I would be right.

He snickers, "Ah ah, very funny," but then he unexpectedly lowers his head to my ear, his hot breath causing the thin, almost invisible hair on my neck to stand, before he suggestively breathes out, "I can always give you a demonstration, love."

Little goosebumps form where his lips are still brushing against my skin, shooting sparks through my body.

What the hell.

Jesse is my best friend, with Amelia, of course. We share a house, and we are each other wingman/woman! Why on Earth would I be shivering at his silly suggestion? Get a grip, Lilith. Yes, he called me love, but he always does.

He's never called anybody else love, ever, the little voice inside my head reminds me. I flick the devil on my shoulder and watch her splat on the floor with a weird satisfaction. It's true he hasn't, but it's just an endearing term he uses because I am his best friend, after all; he will find someone else to call that, and I will happily share it, I decide resolutely. He leaves a kiss on my temple waking me from my daydream, and I tilt my head up to stare into his sparkling eyes as he lazily drops his arm over my shoulder, pulling me closer.

"Make me a cuppa, will ya?"

I nod and walk with him to the other side of the building; the labour ward is strangely quiet, almost eery. As usual, it is chilly, and I snuggle more into Jay's side, enjoying the heat he radiates. I stop in my tracks when we reach the office; I need to update the sister in charge and grab a bar of chocolate before heading to the staff kitchen to make the tea.

"I just need to do something quick in here," I bob my head to the office door, "the loo is through those doors, on the right. Meet back here when you're done?"