Chapter 6: The Dating Game, act 2.

Jesse.

Here I am, pining for her, following her to the bathroom hoping for something that is not there and she asks me to set her up with my friend. This must be a prank! Please someone jump out with a camera because I cannot believe that just happened. I turn the engine on and shift into first gear, leaving the driveway, before the Bluetooth connects to my car, allowing me to make a phone call. She wants love and romance? Then that's what she'll get. The phone doesn't ring for long before someone answers.

"Hey, Jay," a chirpy voice fills the car, "long time no talk, man."

Samuel and I have been friends since university, and we have stayed in touch even after; however, we have not spoken in a while because we have both been quite busy with work and life in general.

"Yeah, yeah," I cut the chitchat short, "listen, write this number down, it's Lily's," I say, and I feel like someone has just punched me straight in the gut.

"What?" the surprise noticeable in his voice. How can I blame him? He knows about Lily because I have always talked about her, about how much I love her, and how she is the greatest of friends, but I have made it a point to never introduce them. For some reason, a voice inside me kept telling me that they would hit it off, and my jealous ass couldn't take it. Lily was right, I am a prick. But I am making things right, now, even though it may just be for selfish reasons as I need to fix this glitch that's rocking my world. He is a great guy, he's got a good job, he's funny -not me funny, though-, polite, and sweet, and I know she will be in great hands with him, she will be looked after. Better to know that she is with someone I can trust rather than a douche she's picked up in a bar.

"You want it or not?" I bark, finding it hard to hide the animosity in my voice.

"Uhm, yeah," of course he does, he's been waiting for that since he caught a glimpse of her when he gave me a ride home one day, so I spit out the number without even needing to look it up; I know it by heart, well, I know everything about her by heart...the faded birthmark near her knee; the beauty mark below her cheek; the tattoo on her ribcage...

Damn, Jesse.

"Have fun," and, with that, I hang up.

By the time I get to Tiffany's flat, the streets are bustling, as they should be on a Sunday evening. I buzz, and her voice blasts out of the intercom almost immediately, letting me know she is on her way down. I lean on my car, taking in the surroundings; she lives in a nice neighbourhood, and it seems quiet and peaceful. Her flat is on the last floor, and I assume it gives her a nice view of the area; maybe I'll get to see it later. She opens the glass door, and steps out before lifting her gaze to meet mine. She has gathered her hair in a high ponytail, and she has dusted make-up on her face, even though she doesn't need it. Her long legs and arms are hidden under deep green pantsuits and jacket whereas a lace crop top hides her chest, leaving the fair skin on her stomach exposed; she is absolutely stunning.

"Hey," she says, shyly, clutching the little purse with both hands. I push myself up, and walk over to her, leaving a kiss on both cheeks, her vanilla scent penetrating every cell of my body. Yep, exactly what I needed.

"Hi, beautiful. Are you ready to go?" I ask, opening the car door for her as she nods and slides in. The car ride is quiet, and I am not used to it anymore; Lily is always chatting, or signing -well, screaming actually- or complaining that this is such a breath of fresh air, but even though I am comfortable, I still find myself switching on the radio, selecting Lily's playlist.

"Oh, I love this song!" Tiffany exclaims, her eyes sparkling, "it's Taylor Swift, isn't it?"

"I am not sure," I shrug, "it's Lily's playlist," and with that, I turn it off because I am supposed not to think about her, and this damn song is making me.