Chapter 16: Game Galaxy.

Lily

I have been feeling weird since the other night, when Jay butted in my date with Sam and took me home. Anybody else could have believed it to be a coincidence, finding each other in the same place, but not me. I know how cunning Jay can be when he wants something. I thought we had agreed on being just the best of friends, but he went and reshuffled the deck, dealing a new hand. A silly smile covers my face; I don't know why, but this insane possibility makes me happy, giving the all-clear to the butterflies in my stomach to dance. Is this what I want?

"What has gotten you smile there?" Sam glances at me as he takes a side road to avoid traffic.

"Nothing important," I shrug, "just something that happened at work." Anticipating his next question, I am faster, and I change the topic, "where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," he whispers, his lips curling at the corners.

We arrive somewhere I feel I know well, but I cannot put my finger on why. I scan the area, and I spot a building that I would recognise among millions of other glass buildings. This arcade used to be mine and Jay's favourite hanging out spot through uni. After every exam, and at the end of all my placement blocks, we would come here and spend the whole night drinking, eating, and playing all kind of games. We haven't been in a while, though.

"I know this place," I shrill, "we're playing games?"

He reciprocates my smile, "have you ever been here?"

"Yeah, all the time. With Jay," I add.

"Oh," I can see his mood shifting and his features darkening as he lets my words sink in. Then, he physically pulls himself out of his head and back to a happy place. He tries to reassure me by shooting me a smile, but I know it's not genuine because it reminds me of myself when I wanted to look grateful to my mother for making us dinner, but it was peas and ham soup. I despised peas and ham soup.

I grab his hand and I rush to the entrance, "c'mon, I can't wait to race you!"

However, Sam stops me in my tracks before turning a serious face to me, "we're not playing, Lily. We can watch others making a spectacle of themselves, and we can make fun of them for sure, but I am not acting like a fool,"

I am taken aback by his harsh statement; it's just for fun, but he's being quite uptight. My eyebrows shoot up in surprise, "I am playing, but you do you." I open the heavy, glass door and I slip inside, walking straight to the arcade area. I spot Sam trailing behind me, and he looks crossed, but I ignore him, and I head to the car games. I choose the furthest seat, tripping on my feet as I hop on the hard, black plastic.

Sam stands between my seat and the one next to me as he looks down at me, "what are you doing, Lily?"

"What does it look like that I am doing? Playing. Are you going to stand there, or are you joining me?"

"I am a professional, Lily. I can't have people seeing me acting like a kid,"

"I am a professional, too, Sam but I am still enjoying a stupid game," I spit out.

A young guy, probably in his early twenties, with rebel chestnut curls takes the seat next to mine. He leans over, a few inches from Sam, "I am playing, if you want a challenge."

I grin, "you don't have to ask me twice," and I press the start button, choosing the car I want to use for the race. Sam shakes his head and comes to stand on the other side, not hiding his annoyance. The game starts, and the stranger and I both press the pedals harshly which causes my car to spin out of control before hitting his. We regain control, and we start speeding, occasionally hitting the barriers on either side.