Chapter 9: Busted.

Knocking on Millie's door, I hear a loud groan and an ear-splitting cry; my best friend pulls the door open, and my eyes widen in shock. Her hair is tied up in what was probably a bun hours ago, but now most of her mane has escaped the hair tie; she looks pale and dark circles accentuate her dull hazel eyes. Amelia is wearing Nick's training trousers and an oversized shirt with a huge stain of vomit down her front, which tells me she has had a rough morning. I walk in and throw my arms around her, tightening my grip while Joy shrills in the background. When she pulls back, I reach for the bassinet and pick up the crying little princess, shushing her in my arms.

"I don't know what to do anymore," Millie whispers blinking back the tears, "she's been crying since Nick left this morning. I haven't had a shower, or breakfast for that matter." She looks away, but a lonely tear runs down her cheek, and I wipe it away with my thumb. She lowers her head down to my shoulder, and I rub soothing circles on her scalp.

"Mill, this is tough shit, alright? You're doing amazing."

"She doesn't like me," she sobs, and I press the side of my face on the top of her head.

"Don't be silly, she loves you! You're the best mama," I almost shout, "this is what we're going to do; you go and have a shower, fully relax and I will look after her."

Her pupils dilate at the suggestion, "Really?"

"Yeah, shoo. Off you go."

While Millie locks herself in the bathroom, I head over to the kitchen and prepare a bottle for Joy who is still pouting and wriggling in my arms. She chugs half of it down as if she had been starving -which she hadn't, I promise-, and I have to pace her feed, so she doesn't get sick. I burp her and then I change her nappy, swapping her onesie for a fresh one. Once she is clean and fed, I place her in a baby wrap, and she snuggles close to me surrendering to sleep while I wipe the countertops and wash the dishes in the sink. When I hear the hairdryer being switched on, I know Amelia is almost done so I start chopping some fresh fruit in a plate and fill the kettle with water to make us tea. I drop two waffles in the toaster and spread a thick layer of hazelnuts cream on it before pouring the boiling water into the mugs and placing everything on the kitchen island.

"Eat," I order when she appears in the kitchen.

Amelia does as asked -so different from her brother, I might add- and she throws small strawberry pieces on her waffle before biting into it. "Thank you," she says looking at me and chewing the huge bite she has just taken, "I really needed that."

"Next time don't be silly and ring me, yeah?" I kind of reprimand her as I lift the mug to my lips. She simply nods yes, her eyes shut as she swallows and moans, satisfied with her breakfast. She is so hungry, she inhales the food and does not leave any crumbs behind.

Millie gulps what has been left of her tea before crossing her arms in front of her and piercing my soul with her hazel eyes, more vibrant now. "Spill," she prods me to talk, "what dilemma has brought you to my humble abode today?"

I try to keep a straight face, but I fail; she is so theatrical. "Alright, listen up," I start, "I met somebody."

She holds up her hand to stop me from talking. "Excuse me?" she exclaims.

"Hey, don't be so surprised! Even I can meet somebody! Well, actually, it was Jay who introduced us; his name is Sam."

"That does sound more like it. So, how is Sam?" Amelia singsongs.

"He is... really handsome and sweet," I admit bowing my head down.

"But..."

How does she know there is a but?