Chapter 14: What are the chances.

Jesse.

Lily has come home not long ago from Millie's, and she is not in the best of moods. She walked past me in the kitchen, and I heard her slam the bedroom door; at least, she is not pissed at me for once. I think. But I can't deal with seeing her like this, I have this urge of making her life better all the time, so I follow her but before entering her room, I hear her talking to someone on the phone.

"What do you think of "Da zia Maria"? It's in Borough Market."

My brows knit together trying to understand what she is talking about. There is a pause before her voice fills the silence.

"Tonight at 8 sound perfect."

More silence.

"No, don't worry about that! I'll take the tube. I'll be the one waiting in the queue," she chuckles. I hear her footsteps getting closer to the door, so I bolt to my room, closing the door as silently as possible; I don't want her to know I eavesdropped. I know I shouldn't have, but curiosity got the best of me. I open Google, and I look up the name she has mentioned, only to find out it is an Italian restaurant. She is going on a date with Sam. I can feel the knots in my stomach twisting as jealousy takes over my better judgement, and a naughty idea surfaces. I find myself going back to mine and Tiffany's messages thread, inviting her for an impromptu date night tonight, which she happily accepts. I am pleased to inform you that we are going to "Da zia Maria" in Borough Market at 8; I mean, it's just luck of the draw, I guess.

Am I an asshole?

Sure.

Would I do it again?

Yes.

When we arrive at the restaurant, Lily and Sam have just been seated. They are towards the back of the room, and I request a table near the exit; from my seat, I can see them, but they cannot see me, and I can keep an eye on my girl to put my plan in motion at the perfect time. I know she is not my girl, but whatever. I am sure he wants to take her home, holding her hand and, as they reach our front door, twirl her in his arms and kiss her. Just the thought of it makes my nostrils flare. But it won't happen; tonight, it will be me escorting her to her room. Or maybe, I'll lead her to mine. While Tiffany is with her nose deep into the menu, I march to the cashier on the till.

"Hey, man, could you do me a favour, please? Can you bring me my check when you get those guys over there theirs? We're leaving together," I slide him a 20£ note on the counter, and he hides it in his pocket, nodding in agreement. Attaboy.

Tiffany has been talking about something for the past hour, but I haven't paid any attention to it, I have just been smiling and nodding while checking Lily from the corner of my eyes, ready to jump up and surprise her. I can't stop fidgeting, tapping my foot under the table; Tiffany is not even fazed by my lack of interest, deep into her story. Apparently, a good-looking doctor has joined the team creating havoc among the young and single midwives. Why is she telling me that, I don't know.

"I haven't even glanced at him, though. I'd rather have a piece of you," she says, looking at me through her lashes. Oh, that's why. My ego is flattered, and I smile, but I cannot bring myself to tell her I want a piece of her, too. I see the cashier approaching us hastily, and I open my wallet reaching for my card because I know what he is about to say.

"Everything alright?" he asks politely, "shall I get you your check?"

"Yes. Actually, I'll come with you," I get off the chair and try to follow the guy to his station, but Tiffany's hand wraps around my wrist.

"Let's get dessert," she suggests.

I flash her a quick smile as I free myself from her grasp, "I heard they're not good here."