Story 4 | They Come Back ...

After a decade, Umanath returned to his ancestral home. The demands of his work and city life had kept him occupied, leaving little time for travel. As a student, he used to visit the house every summer vacation, creating cherished memories.

Nestled amidst eight acres of coconut and mango farms, the house stood grand and inviting. Umanath vividly recalled how he and his cousins would play hide and seek in the dark corridors, adding a sense of adventure to their visits.

During Diwali, Umanath's uncle couldn't make it due to ill health. Hence, his mother took the responsibility of lighting the diyas in the house. With his father busy, Umanath accompanied his mother on the journey. As they drove through the bumpy village roads, he couldn't help but imagine the nostalgic experiences he had enjoyed in that very place. Were the farms, animals, temples, and flowering trees still thriving in all their glory?

Two days before their arrival, the house had been thoroughly cleaned since the servants would be on leave for Diwali. As evening fell, Umanath and his mother entered the house, finding everything they needed for their short stay.

Exhausted from navigating the village roads, Umanath's mother asked, "Will you come to the grocery shop? I need to buy some oil and other essentials, and I also want to visit the temple."

"Mom, I'm really tired from the journey. If you don't mind, I'd like to take a proper rest," Umanath replied wearily.

"Okay, you go ahead and rest. I've left some cookies and milk on the table for you," his mother said, grabbing an empty grocery bag and a small oil jar before heading towards the market.

Umanath watched his mother until she disappeared near the gate, which was about thirty meters away, and then he fell asleep on the couch.

When he awoke, a gentle rain was falling outside. Umanath's grandmother sat peacefully on an armchair, gazing out at the farm. Upon seeing him, she greeted him, "Awake now, dear? You must be tired after such a long journey."

To be continued...