Story 12 | Suspended In Thin Air

Ramachandra Master stood at the front of the classroom, his words carrying the weight of knowledge and experience. "Gravity," he began, "is the force that pulls objects down to Earth, otherwise, we'd all be suspended in thin air."

As he spoke, a boy named Mahindra raised his hand, his eyes shining with curiosity. Mahindra was from the tribal belt, a first-generation student with a hunger for knowledge that impressed Ramachandra.

"Is there a way to defy gravity, sir, and remain suspended in thin air?" Mahindra's question hung in the air, sparking a moment of contemplation among his classmates.

Ramachandra smiled at Mahindra's enthusiasm. He believed in encouraging students like Mahindra, who showed a natural aptitude for learning. "For that," he replied, "you would have to travel faster than the escape velocity of 11.2 km/sec from the Earth's surface."

Mahindra's brow furrowed as he processed the information. "But, sir," he persisted, "is it possible to remain suspended in thin air without moving?"

"To remain suspended in thin air without any physical support, Mahindra," he replied, "would require defying the laws of physics. It's not something that's possible in our understanding of the world."

To be continued ...