Story 7 | Whispers of Hegde House

In the heart of a remote Indian village nestled within the Ankola Taluka region, Hegde House commanded both reverence and trepidation.Amidst the sprawling coconut groves, this venerable mansion was a living relic of times long past, where history whispered its tales through the rustling leaves of the coconut trees. When night descended, and the moonlight filtered through the dense canopy, it painted eerie patterns on the ground, conjuring an otherworldly atmosphere that defied the boundaries of reality.

Despite the modern upgrades that had infiltrated its interior through renovations, Hegde House clung stubbornly to its historical roots. The red oxide floors bore the marks of countless footsteps, the faded tapestries on the walls murmured tales now forgotten, and the wooden staircase had supported the weight of generations. Dimly lit lamps waged a losing battle against the ever-shifting shadows that danced upon the walls. Even on the hottest of days, an unnatural chill seemed to hang in the air. Time had caressed the house with its gentle hand, preserving it in a perpetual state of antiquity, as if the secrets of the Hegde family were an indelible part of its very soul.

The author's uncle, a curious soul drawn to the mystique of the place, had once been a guest within its walls. Years later, he would regale the author with stories that added another layer of intrigue to the house's mystique. As he sat in the shadows of the coconut groves, mango in hand, a voice pierced the stillness of the night.

"Can you give me some lime, sir, please?" implored a villager who ventured toward the imposing Hegde House. His request, though seemingly innocuous, required him to tread about 100 meters into the heart of the estate, an unusual journey for a simple request like chewing beetle leaf.

The patriarch of the Hegde family, a man whose features bore the etchings of countless years, stepped forward, his gaze a tapestry of wisdom and scrutiny. A faint smile graced his lips as he posed an unexpected question, "Have you taken anything from our farm?"

To be continued ...