Story 11 | The Madhu Mithaiwala

As the boy peered through the eyepiece of the bioscope, the operator deftly rotated the wheel. The Taj Mahal emerged first, its majestic silhouette capturing the boy's attention. Without delay, the image shifted to the renowned sweet delicacy of Agra, the Petha, presented enticingly on the plate. A gentle melody accompanied the spectacle, drawing the boy deeper into the enchanting display.

Next in line was the resplendent Mysore Palace, followed swiftly by the delectable Mysore Pak, the boy's mouth watering at the sight. The mesmerising show unfolded for a brief 2-3 minutes, showcasing India's iconic landmarks alongside the mouthwatering sweets associated with each place. This was Madhu's ingenious strategy to captivate potential customers.

Once the spectacle concluded, the young boy's gaze shifted to the array of sweets meticulously arranged on the shelves. Ladoos, jahangiris, barfis, jalebis — each delicacy seemed to beckon him. He eagerly pleaded with his parents to indulge in half a dozen varieties, his enthusiasm palpable.

After some gentle persuasion, the parents relented, settling for a couple of sweets. Madhu, the sweet seller, deftly weighed the chosen treats on an old iron balanced scale, with half and one kg iron weights on one side and the sweets on the other. With precision, he packed them in newspaper parcels, handing them over to his satisfied customers.

A smile played on Madhu's lips as he completed his first sale of the day, his heart swelling with satisfaction. This was just the beginning of another bustling day at his humble sweet shop, where every treat held a story, and every customer left with a taste of India's rich heritage and culinary delights.

To be continued ...