Story 5 | The Enigmatic Illusions of Kajukoppa

Place of Origin: Ankola, Kajukoppa.

Date : some time in 1960

As Mukund peddled through the isolated and eerie surroundings of Kajukoppa on his bicycle, he couldn't shake off the fear that gripped him. The area was partially deserted, with dense Cashew trees resembling a wild jungle, and there was no habitation nearby except for a peculiar house belonging to Gulabi—a woman standing at an astonishing height of 6+ feet, an unusual sight in a country where the average height for women was 5.2 feet.

Mukund had always dreaded passing through Kajukoppa, especially at night. The place had an air of mystery and strange tales surrounding it. He vividly remembered catching a glimpse of Gulabi one night, standing near her house, which had terrified him even more. But today, with his groceries securely stowed in his cycle basket, he rode cautiously.

 The dimly lit road added to his unease. Suddenly, he caught sight of a horse-drawn cart approaching from the opposite direction. It was a bizarre sight since such carts had become obsolete long ago. The cart, painted an eerie white and adorned with royal markings, gave off an ancient vibe. Even more unsettling was the charioteer, dressed in peculiar garments reminiscent of a servant from bygone eras.

As their paths crossed, the cart driver locked eyes with Mukund, sending a chilling smile that made his blood run cold. Driven by fear, Mukund peddled as fast as he could, but his panic caused him to veer off the road and crash into a rock. Groceries flew in all directions as he tumbled to the ground, paralyzed and unable to move.

Lying there helplessly, Mukund's gaze turned to the sky, feeling abandoned by fate.  Fortunately, Gulabi happened to witness Mukund's fall. With a sense of urgency, she and her father rushed to Mukund's aid, gathering his scattered groceries and guiding him to their house for safety.

To be continued ....