Story 8 | The Giants On The Island

Anil poured the steaming tea from his crimson Milton thermos and extended it to the old man, whose weathered face softened into a grateful smile; it was just the warmth he craved on such a chilly night. With paper cups in hand, they settled onto the cold cement seats, gazing out over the expansive beach beneath the moonlit sky.

Every day, without fail, Anil followed the rhythm of his routine. From dawn till dusk, he dutifully fulfilled his role at the bank, serving as the trusted agent for the Pigmy Deposit Scheme. Yet, as the sun dipped below the horizon, his true passion ignited. Evenings were reserved for his craft, delicately carving intricate statues of diverse deities from blocks of wood, which he then peddled to local shops, adding a modest but meaningful supplement to his income.

However, after dinner, Anil allotted himself an hour or two for relaxation. He sauntered along the beach, far from the hustle and bustle of tourists, often encountering only the occasional fisherman returning under the veil of night. Stretching for miles, the beach remained largely untouched, a sanctuary of solitude for Anil. The cool breeze, laced with the scent of sea salt, offered him a soothing respite from the day's toils. It felt as though his brain was bathed in an extra dose of dopamine in this serene environment.

In recent nights, Anil found himself accompanied by the old man, who would join him halfway through his solitary walks. Though Anil had never ventured to the other side of the hill where the old man lived, their nightly encounters had forged a gentle bond between them.

Tonight, following his usual routine, Anil wandered along the beach, accompanied by the soft melodies emanating from his portable radio. Tuning in to the evening news, he sought topics for discussion with the old man he'd grown accustomed to meeting. 

Anil found himself walking along the coastline, guided only by the faint glimmer of moonlight dancing on the waves.Suddenly, a sense of foreboding gripped him as he caught sight of a massive shape looming in the darkness ahead.

To be continued ...