𝟏𝟕| 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

TALKING ABOUT THE PAST

THE SOUNDS OF crickets chirping in the air all around could be heard in a small part of Budapest, many civilians being seen sitting at tables at a small restaurant near the same convenience store the three had been at earlier

THE SOUNDS OF crickets chirping in the air all around could be heard in a small part of Budapest, many civilians being seen sitting at tables at a small restaurant near the same convenience store the three had been at earlier. Little kids could be seen kicking around a soccer ball with an Avenger playing with them. At a table, Yelena could be seen sitting on a chair as she watched Y/n play soccer with the little kids, a smile on her face when Natasha headed over, two bottles of beers in her hands before she placed one down in front of the blonde.

Earlier, Yelena had helped Y/n with her arm and hand before the kids had asked the youngest of the three if she wanted to play soccer with them. Of course, she agreed, hoping it'd get her mind off everything going around and also because they had been giving her puppy eyes that she couldn't say no.

Seating herself in the chair across from Yelena, Natasha looks out to where her daughter was, smiling at the sight of her smiling as she softly kicked the soccer ball towards one of the boys before he kicked it towards the makeshift net they had made. She hadn't seen her smile in so long, she was glad that she was actually doing so at the moment.

"That gas, the counteragent, it was synthesize in secret by an older widow from Melina's generation. I was on the mission to retrieve it, and she exposed me and I killed the widow that freed me." Yelena informs.

"Did you have a choice?" Natasha questions.

"What you experienced was psychological conditioning. I'm talking about chemically altering brain functions. They're two completely different things. You're fully conscious, but you don't know which part is you. I'm still not sure." Yelena explains with a shrug.

Natasha motions to the red vial's in her bag. "Is that all there is left?"

Yelena nods, humming. "It's the only thing that can stop Dreykov and his network of widows. He takes more everyday. Children who don't have anyone to protect them. Just like us when we were small. Maybe one in twenty survives the training, becomes a widow.

The rest, he kills. To him, we are just things. Weapons with no face that he can just throw away. Because there is always more. And no one's even looking for him, thanks to you and Alexei."

"Alexei?" Natasha repeats in question, remembering the man she thought of as a father. The closest thing she had to a father.

Yelena lets out a bitter chuckle. "'Dad'."

As the redhead grabs the bottle of beer she had gotten, she turns her head back and takes a gulp as they both look out at the children playing soccer with Y/n. They watched as a woman with her child held the child's hands while they walked together and they watched one little boy rush his way over to his father, who had been working on his vehicle in the garage across from the small restaurant they had been sitting at for a while now.