ONE

CHAPTER ONE:
"You're here, that counts for something"

       WHAT ONCE WAS A DISTANT MEMORY CANE FLOODING BACK WITH SUCH MERCILESS AGGRESSION

WHAT ONCE WAS A DISTANT MEMORY CANE FLOODING BACK WITH SUCH MERCILESS AGGRESSION. Allison had figured the nightmares were finally leaving her alone after so many years of fighting them off, but as of late she was feeling the return of waking up absolutely exhausted. Once upon a time, waking up still tired also came with Frost's relentless screaming about her latest fears and how they needed to hurry away. But nowadays, the Ice Demon was as quiet as a mouse. And Allison hated how quiet her mind was.

Years ago, Allison and Frost had once started to refuse to fall asleep for anything longer then three hours. As they passed that threshold, they'd reach a point where the memories of their heritage would re-emerged and they'd be reminded of every experiment they endured for the betterment of the galaxy. Frost remembered more the Allison ever would.

"My dear Frost..." his voice taunted the demon's thoughts as she quietly sat in the back of Allison's mind. "You are such a miracle, child." She remembered how he patted her head as if she was a pet, uncaring of how uncomfortable Frost became the moment he stepped in her direction. His fingers would curl under her small chin, forcing her to look up at him despite the interesting reflection that was watching her from below. "You know you're special, right?"

Waking with a startled breath of freezing oxygen, Allison's eyes peeled open as she felt her arm being pinched and scratched. Sitting up, she sharply glanced to her left, narrowed eyes that remained heavy with exhaustion watching Rocket.

"You need to control your guy," Rocket growled, the soft beat of Creep by Radiohead playing loudly from where the headphones laid around his neck. He rested a protective hand over the top of the Zune, tucked safely in his side pocket.

Allison yawned. "What are you on about, Rocket?"

"Quill!" Rocket exclaimed. "He's drunk again, and like... wasted."

Frost groaned in the back of Allison's mind. "Again!" she exclaimed with a tender growl. "There's a point where you leave him behind you know?"

Though she disliked how her counterpart spoke of Peter, Allison unfortunately started to agree with the demon's harsh comments. It was becoming to much of a constant, being told her boyfriend was wasted and inconsolable. Blinded by that twisted taste of alcohol and whatever sour concoction he could find on Knowhere. Allison was beginning to struggle with remembering what kissing him felt like without the taste of alcohol on his lips.

She sighed, cupping her shaking head between her hands for a moment. Pulling her hands away, she met Rocket's almost sympathetic stare. "Where is he?"