THREE

CHAPTER THREE:
"He never spoke of disposing of Rocket if someone ever tried to see what made him Rocket"

               THE SCREAM THAT TORE FROM ALLISON'S THROAT HAD BEEN A FEROCIOUS SOUND SHE NEVER HEARD LEAVE HER LIPS BEFORE

               THE SCREAM THAT TORE FROM ALLISON'S THROAT HAD BEEN A FEROCIOUS SOUND SHE NEVER HEARD LEAVE HER LIPS BEFORE. She had immediately dived to Rocket's side, pulling the med pack of his fuzzy chest in a panic. Peter had tried to pull her off, to say she was acting irrational but Nebula's support was enough to make him realise he messed up.

                 The Guardians had returned to the Bowie immediately, Allison tenderly cradling Rocket to her chest like a mother supporting her new born child. She didn't want any of them to touch him. They didn't know what happened to Rocket, they wouldn't understand his biology, everything that is wrong within his body.

                   "I am Groot."

                   Groot cautiously approached where Allison stood hunched over Rocket's body. Her back was to her friends. The frame of the tree's body was beginning to rebuild itself, and he extended a thin branch and rested it over Allison's shoulder. It's okay, he had said, his kind smile returning as Allison glanced over, her eyes brimming with tears.

                   Allison quivered under his grip, a mix of fear for herself, Frost and her dearest friend making her experience panic she never once thought would be reignited in her chest. Not even Thanos evoked such a reaction nor did watching her boyfriend crumble into a pile of dust. The High Evolutionary had always been worse... he'd always be the worst.

                     "Just... just be careful," Allison whispered, gently pushing through the group and laying Rocket over the medical bed. He squirmed slightly as she tried to gently slide him from her grasp. But she managed to force his claws out of her t-shirt and Mantis hastily slid an oxygen mask over his fuzzy snout. Allison clasped her hands together and rested them near her chest, almost as if she was praying to whatever god was listening to just send them a little bit of help.

                       She couldn't loose Rocket. She just couldn't, and more importantly, to him.

"This isn't happening..." Frost whispered over and over again. She dismissed Nebula's explanation for Rocket's reaction as being something her mind made up in a twisted nightmare. "We're so faraway. He couldn't have found us. He couldn't... Allison I can't do this again."

Allison swallowed harshly, wiping her eyes with the back of her jacket sleeve and felt Peter arm suddenly fall over her shoulders. He held her close.

                           "A kill switch?" Peter stammered at Nebula's explanation.

                           "A device set to destruct, set to go off if anyone goes poking around inside him or even if we use the Med-Paks." The woman recited the information with a sharp edge to her voice that would promise immediate death to anyone who'd put their friend through such torture.