eight

<3 <3 <3

When I walk into the library on Tuesday, I'm itching. Not literally, but I am itching to see Aurora.

The library is busier today for some reason. When I walk to the back, towards where our usual spot is, I find all the tables are taken. And Aurora is not here. My eyes narrow on the kid sitting at our table. Sitting in Aurora's seat.

I walk right up to him, glare down at him. He glances up and his eyes widen. I nod my head to the side, a silent gesture for him to move. He scrambles out of his seat, gathering his things and hightailing it out of there.

Satisfied, I sit down in my usual seat, pulling Aurora's chair a little closer to mine before she gets here.

"Did you just kick that poor kid out of his seat?" My head shoots up at the sound of her voice. My mind quiets.

"Uh," My eyes are wide as I stare at her approaching. I've been caught. "Maybe?"

"George," She scolds, sliding into her seat next to me, bag dropping to the floor beside her.

"It's our table," I defend softly.

She rolls her eyes, "We could have found somewhere else to sit."

I watch her silently as she gets out her notebook and sets it on the table. Then grabs a hair clip from her bag, twisting up her hair into the clip. Flattens her skirt on her lap. Crosses her legs. Angles them towards me until her leg brushes mine.

Oh how I love being this close to her.

"Anyway," She murmurs, shaking her head, "Did you read the chapters I asked you to?"

"I did, Aurora."

"Good," She smiles, "Then we can get started—"

"How was your weekend?" I ask, before we can begin.

"Oh," Her cheeks turn pink. "It was good. I went to see a movie with my friends on Sunday night. How was your weekend? Did your rugby game go well?"

"It was good. We won. I scored two tries."

Her smile blinds me, "That's so good! Well done."

"You should come," I blurt, "To a game. Sometime. If you want to."

Her eyes widen slightly. "You want me to?"

Shrugging, I avoid her gaze, "I mean, yeah. You like rugby, right?"

"I do," Her voice is so soft, so delicate, "I'll come to a game if you want me to, George."

Nodding, I confirm, "I do want you to."

"Okay then. Do you have a game this weekend?"

Another nod. "Saturday morning."

"Alright. Text me what time, and I'll be there."

I don't say anything in response to that. Any words I've ever known have escaped me. So, she starts going through her notes with me, beginning our lesson.

After about ten minutes, I start drumming my fingers against the edge of the tabletop again. I can't help myself. I want her to touch me again.

She does. Reaching, for my hands, she never stops her explanation. As she speaks, she takes my hands in hers, halting the movement. Gently, she folds my hands together and rests them on my knee. She keeps one of her hands on top of mine, the other lifting to turn the page.

I stare at our hands, completely enamoured. She's basically holding my hand. Well, not really. But close enough. I don't dare move a single millimetre, in case it causes her to stop touching me.

For the rest of the period, I sit completely rigid in my seat, hanging onto every word she says. Her cheeks are pink and I love it more than anything. My face feels hot, so I know I'm blushing too.

No one has ever made me blush like this girl does. One look, one touch and all the blood in my body rushes to my face.

And I know she hasn't simply forgotten where her hand is. Because each time she asks a question and I get it correct, she gives my hands a little squeeze with hers.

The bell rings while she's still in the middle of her explanation. She sighs softly, "Dammit. Okay, we'll finish this part off next Thursday."

I nod, completely silent. She closes the book with her free hand and tucks it into her bag. When she turns back to me, she glances down at our hands.

Sheepishly, she pulls her hand away from mine. "Sorry, I don't mean to hold you hostage."

"No— I— It's—" I clear my throat, cheeks burning thanks to my nervous stammering. "Can I walk you to class?"

"Sure you can." As soon as I have her permission, I stand, sliding my bag onto my shoulder. Then I bend down, picking her bag up and sliding it onto my other shoulder. She watches me do this, clearly questioning. I don't say a word, gesturing for her to walk ahead of me.

She starts walking out of the library and I follow behind her. At the entrance to the library, I open the door, letting her step past and walk first out into the hall. Then I fall into step beside her.

"Aurora?"

"Yes, George?"

"Would—" I notice someone running straight for us, clearly in a hurry. They look like they're about to push right past Aurora, so I quickly reach out, holding her waist and pulling her in front of me. Just in time, the person runs past, right where she was standing.

"Woah," Aurora murmurs, blinking at the sudden movement. I hold her for a moment before letting her go.

"You okay?" I ask gruffly, turning to toss a glare at the person over my shoulder, even though I know it's pointless.

"Fine, thank you." We keep walking for a moment before she turns to look up at me, "What were you going to ask?"

We've reached her classroom. She stops outside the door, giving me her full attention.

I shake my head. "It was nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Okay," She gives me that pretty smile. "I'll see you on Thursday then?"

I nod, handing her bag to her, and she lingers, like she always does. Then a wave, before she turns and disappears inside the classroom. 

~ Pink Flamingo <3