twelve

<3 <3 <3

She's here. She's really, actually here. She came to see me.

It's a cold Saturday morning down on the school rugby field. The game hasn't started yet. While tossing a ball back and forth with my teammates, I've been keeping an eye out for Aurora. I texted her the time my game would start, but I've been skeptical about whether she'll show. I don't want to get my hopes up.

But there she is. Walking down the hill, like she did just yesterday. For a moment, I stand there, not sure whether to approach her straight away. But as she gets closer, I notice her eyes already on me. And her smile is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. So, I ditch my team for a few minutes and run down the field to greet her.

"Aurora," I greet once I've reached her. She's all bundled up to face the cold in dark jeans, boots, a jacket and my beanie on her head yet again.

"Hi, George," Her cheeks are pink and so is her nose. Her lips too, but I try not to stare too long at those.

"You came."

She nods, "You asked me to."

"I did," My smile is starting to hurt my cheeks.

Her eyes drop over my rugby uniform that I'm wearing. Shorts and a t-shirt, both in the school's dark blue. She tilts her head at me, "You must freeze out there in that."

"Nah," I shrug, placing my hands on my hips, "Running around for eighty minutes keeps me warm."

Her eyes drop over my exposed thighs, calves and arms. I'm not blind, so I'm aware I'm pretty muscly. Lean too, as you have to be to play a full game of rugby every week. For maybe the first time, I wonder what she thinks when she looks at me. Does she find me attractive?

"You should come sit down," I murmur, guiding her over to where family, friends and students are sitting and standing on the sidelines. "And I do have a favour to ask you."

She turns to look up at me, "What's that?"

My cheeks heat and I duck my head, "Would you... maybe sit by my mum? She's here to support me too and... it's just easier for me if the two people I want to see are in the same place. So I don't have to search the crowd for both of you."

She smiles at me, "Of course. Where is she?"

"This way," A weight has lifted off my chest at her immediate agreement. I find my mum right where I left her, sitting on a bench on the sidelines. When she sees us approaching she smiles big and waves.

"She's so cute," Aurora murmurs to me.

"Yeah, she is. She comes to every one of my games." When we stop in front of my mum, she lifts her bag from the seat next to her, sitting it on her lap. "Hey, mum."

"Who's this George?" She asks, eyes on Aurora.

Clearing my throat, I duck my head to hide my reddening cheeks. "Mum, this is Aurora. She's my tutor. And Aurora, this is my mum."

"It's lovely to meet you," Aurora smiles and puts her hand forward for my mum to shake, "You can call me Rory."

Mum shakes her hand, "Nice to finally meet you, Rory." She shoots me a not very subtle approving glance which only intensifies my embarrassment. "Come, I saved you a seat."

Aurora sits down right beside her and gives me a reassuring smile. Mum leans in to say something to her and for a moment, I'm frozen, just watching them. The woman I love most in this world sitting beside the girl that has held all my attention since the day I met her.

To soon, I'm pulled away from them and back to the field, answering the calls of my teammates. "Ay, Sparky! We've got a game to play!" 

~ Pink Flamingo <3