►4

1 x 02 - "The Thing You Love Most"

• • •

"Kid said I came through a wardrobe and landed on the side of a freeway. The wardrobe. Can you believe it? He said my so-called parents were trying to save me from the curse." Emma said with frustration as she paced around the room we had rented for a week in the granny's inn.

"Curse. You mean the thing where the Disney characters who are not real, forget that they are Disney characters in real and continue to live freely without any memories because the evil queen, which let me add - is completely non-existent too, cursed them because she was not satisfied with your parents' happy ending?" I replied and chuckled humorously.

"They are not my parents!" Emma yelled and glared at me. I just shrugged at her.

"That's what your kid's sayin', I'm just indulging him."

"Well, don't. I'm already so fed up with his continuous running off to god knows where and his stupid unrealistic belief in those fairy tales and now he thinks that I am a savior. That I'm supposed to fight this final battle - I don't even know what that means - because I am destined to bring back the happy endings. I call bull." She rambled and sighed heavily, her gaze travelling to me.

"Interesting. Do you think you can give me a happy ending? I mean if you're here and you're supposedly Snow white and Prince Charming's daughter then I should be someone from the fairy tale world too, right? Give me my happy ending! O, savior, win this battle!" I cried out dramatically, opening my arms and laughed out loud while she gave me her nastiest glare.

"Becca!" Emma reprimanded me while I just kept laughing at her miserable fate. If it was true, which it shouldn't be but let's just say if the kid was right and everything was true, then she was truly fucked up.

"Okay, now everything kept aside, tell me about the dad." I demanded as I suddenly got serious and she immediately looked like she could be anywhere but here.

"Uh, it was a guy that I met, like, 10 years ago while I was going around pickpocketing for living. We met, he fell, I tried to stay away but then I fell too. Like every other enemy to lover trope, corny, I know but whatever. I was young, stupid and dumb. We slept together, and then bam! He showed his true colors, of a liar. Then I got caught and he ran away. He didn't know that I was expecting and I couldn't tell him because of everything that happened between us that day." She sighed as she remembered that day. It was painful but she did good by not telling him. He wouldn't - couldn't be a good father anyway. She thought and blinked. Oh boy, just how wrong she was.

"I gave birth in jail. Realizing that I couldn't give him a good life that he deserved, I let him go. Got the closed adoption and everything. I couldn't even get the courage to hold him in my arms. But he was always in my heart. And after a year or so, I met you and you helped me. And I found another reason to keep going." Emma said and smiled softly. She looked broken but she held herself together.