Late Nights by the Lake part 2

It was nightfall and I had waited for this time. This was our time. It felt like the world had closed and we were alone for this short time. But it felt like we could make this darkness last forever. The brisk Seattle air felt good on my skin, it made me feel alive, grounding me in this moment. We were younger the last time we did this. Uninhibited, naive, happy nonetheless. Things felt so simple then. Going back to this way of living feels like returning home, as though I've been living an artificial life in someone else's body but only now is my Freaky Friday ending. The moon is full, a beacon in a sea of the unknown and lost memories. Dingy streetlights illuminate my path set ahead of me, often flickering and sustaining a buzzing sound.

Walking on this path is like muscle memory. To commemorate my nostalgia, I put on "Music or the Misery" and try to summon more memories.

"Pat!" I recall the rocks I threw at his bedroom window to gain his attention. I wonder if I should throw another for old time's sake. I think about the window shattering like it did one time in the winter, resulting in him repairing the glass in the cold and extensive cuddling for warmth. I'm sure a small rock should be fine.
I pick up a stone, feel its weight in my hand, aim, fire. Target acquired, bullseye.

The small stone bounces off the window. I wave as he cranks the old frame open.

"Of course it's you." He smirks from above.

"Come down!" I whisper-scream from the grass.

"Since you put it so nicely," I watch the window close and one of his lamps dim. Only a moment later we're met face to face at the back door.

"So glad to have you this evening, sir." I offer my arm to link
"Oh, I wouldn't miss this occasion for the world!" He indulges.
"Not too informal for you?" I continue on, though he stops and turns to me in a moment of sincerity.
"No, it's perfect." His eye glimmer in this moonlight, the same way they did 6 years ago.
"I've been waiting a long time for this."

Walking to our spot, we recollect the pieces of our mosaic, perfectly flawed and beautifully crafted, recounting all of our favourite moments out here.

I break our link and run ahead.

Taking off my top and discarding my shorts and shoes I run into the ice cold water inhaling sharply as it hits my skin.

He's less hesitant now. Working as a composer these past years has done him some good after all.

Splashing along with me, we swim until the moon beckons us to give our attention upwards.

"I've really missed this, y'know."

"Me too. We haven't gotten to be so.." He trails off

"Playful?" I splash water at him, and he splashes me back before looking more serious.

"Yes. I just wanna forget everything else. And just feel the way I do now, with you."

He cups my face in his hands, softly kissing me.

In this moment everything feels perfect. Just then, I hear a roaring thunder. A perfect moment became a perfect storm.

"I'd complain about getting wet, but here we are anyway." I gesture to the lake surrounding us.

We seem so small in this vast body of water.

He kissed me passionately.

"I love you."

"You really do?"

"I really do."

"I love you too."

"Wanna get out of here before we get hypothermia?"

"Ah but where's the fun in that?" I giggled

"Alright, pools' closing!" He lifted me over his shoulder and pulled me out of the water.

"Oh my gosh, I've never seen you like this!"

He put me down on the sand as we got our clothes back on.

"I know. And I haven't always been so upfront, I haven't taken the lead when I should've. I want to now."

"Wow. This is quite a change."

"and theres more to come. I have something for you." he pulls me hand in the direction of his house

We promptly got back to his house, quietly shutting his bedroom door.

"Here it is."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out keys.

"Keys? Oh, did you finally buy me the classic firebird I've always wanted?"

"Not quite."

He typed something on his laptop

It was a rental listing of a really beautiful apartment right in the city.

"Patrick?.. Is this.."

"For us."

"Really? Wait so," I looked to the keys and back at the listing.

"Already paid the deposit."

I couldn't help but smile and throw my arms over his shoulders for a hug.

I let out a laugh as we pulled away from the hug.

"I'm ready if you are." He assures me, my hand in his.

"Let's do it."

The moon seemed to come through the window a lot brighter that night.

We always loved our little tradition of late nights by the lake, but this time, was by far my favourite.