chapter. 5

Manjiros Pov.

The night had gone over smoothly. Things were starting to wind down when I stood. I didn't need any noise or word to stop everyone from talking for the room to fall silent. Everyone looked up at me.
Even the wives of my members who seem to be very intoxicated.

"You all helped make this night a success. The last few weeks of overtime have paid off, and to conclude, we also made new business partners"

I looked over to Hanma, who nodded and held up his glass. Osanai, the leader of our rival gang and a top competitor.
Didn't show, I'll have to address that tomorrow.

Right now, I was trying not to lose control. It took everything in me not to snatch my Angel and take her to a private room upstairs. Her glimmering dark skin shined against that short pink dress in the overhead dim lights. And when she danced with Kenchins very pregnant wife. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.
Turning back to my wife, I held up champagne glass.

"We couldn't have done any of it without our women standing behind us. So here's to you all. And my Angel, my gorgeous girl. You have stood by me through it all, from sneaking into my grandpa's dojo when we were young, to our first tiny one bedroom apartment.
To you trusting me to build our future. You deserve the world. Please accept me, and all of this again."

I got down on one knee and pulled out the small black box. Opening it to reveal a brand new set. I looked up at her in awe. The lights shined above her like a halo, her hands covering her mouth in suprise. After a moment, she slowly slipped her current set off. I could tell it took her a moment to do so. They were the first big purchase I ever bought when we first started to come into money. It still wasn't a lot. I had to do extra work in my brother's shop for months, along with new deals with gang related shit. Still, she wore them with pride.

I took the new rings out and slipped them onto her finger. Clapping erupted all around us, and I stood. Taking Angel into my arms. I could hear the little sniffles as she choked back from crying and was probably trying to stop her makeup from running.

"Thank you, Manjiro. This was all so perfect."

I pulled away, just enough to look down at her. She held her old rings close to her chest in her closed hands. She was never going to let those rings go. I couldn't wait to see what she did with them, honestly.
Tipping her chin up, I pressed her lips to mine. Kissing her deeply, until the clapping died down and I felt a hand on my shoulder, I looked over and saw Kenchin. He smiled at me knowingly, patting my back with a little more force than he should have.

"Ima get Sage home, she's getting tired. We have some birthing class to go to into the morning, so I'll be in later than normal."

It took me a second to catch my breath after he damn neared knocked the wind out of me with his strength. Shaking my head, I cleared my throat, looking back to the others in the room.

"Take the next few days off, enjoy your time with your families. I'll see you all back in the office on Wednesday. You all have deserved it."

Things had been going to smooth lately, I'm not want to be optimistic. With the secret lives, we all live can be taken away as fast as we got it. Moments like this are precious. It even took me a while to understand that. When my grandfather was assassinated, it affected us all. Made us realize just how fragile life could be.

"Miiiiikkeeeyyy. Sorry, we are late. Emma's breaks went out, so I had her bring her car to my shop. Where I found she had a fuck ton of issues so one thing led to another and I had to drop her engine and work on it too. Anyways, we are here now."

shinichiro and Emma walked in right when Kinchin finally dragged Sage away from the others and left. Emma hugged me, and ran off to talk to Angel. Shinichiro wrapped his arm around me. He still smelled like grease. He cleaned up well enough, he was just a mechanic through and through.

I fallowed his gaze to Baji and Hanma, who were still sitting next to each other, while their wives talked over them. Shinichiro didn't have to admit it, I knew there were times when he questioned Baji and himself for giving him the black dragons. My brother wanted out of the gang life. We helped him achieve that.

"So that's a thing now?"

He tried to keep the bitterness out of his tone. I smirked, taking another sip of my scotch. I was pissed when my brother stepped down, not because of who he handed his prized gang to, but the fact he so easily walked away from what we all built. It was bittersweet watching him go on to new adventures. He still lives so close, his bike shop only five minutes down the road from my office. He is so close, but also so far. He's not the deal breaker anymore, he's not the one we all call to help fix gang problems.

"Yea. Well, what did you expect. Their wives are bestftiends. Unless you wish to step back in, of course."

He instantly looked at me. His glare only made me want to smile, the corner of my lip quirked slightly. Putting my hands up, pretending to surrender.

"Mikey you know-"

Shinichiro began his righteous tangent as he always did when given the chance. Lifitng my hand, he instantly stopped. I have heard him out, I wish I could see his point of view. It still doesn't make sense to me.
Before either of us could say anything else. Angel stumbled over to us. Catching her by her arm I glared down at her. Her cheeks were flushed, and she giggled, leaning into my hold.

"Drunk?"

I asked, almost annoyed. She stiffened and shook her head. I don't like seeing her drunk. Tipsy was one thing, drunk was another.
I didn't mind her drinking excessively when we were home. Being out in public, there was a constant threat of something. And I needed her to stay aware.

She figured it was for status, rumors, and staying professional. When it had nothing to do with that and everything to do with, if I needed to get her out of a situation quickly, she needed to be on her toes.

"If you'll excuse me, brother. It appears I need to get my wife home. It's getting late. Don't have Emma out too much longer. One more thing. Stay out of Bajis' business."