Invitation

Subhadra's eyes flew open. The morning mist made a beautiful effect with tiny streaks of sunrays falling through the window.

She got up, had a bath, finished her daily chores (*snort* Yeah. Those monstrosities existed even back then) and went to the dining hall.

What was the view ? Chaos, as usual. The dining area was one of the places where everyone could be themselves ( read be maniacs (-Yudhishthir ofc))

The kids were running around the table, Draupadi trying in vain to feed them, while her co-wives were giggling till no end. They had come to visit for a few days.

As soon as Subhadra entered, they all ran towards her shrieking " Kakishreeee". Draupadi's posture immediately relaxed. "Good," she said, "now you can feed them. I'm going to lie down a bit."

Sahadev's child had recently been born, so Draupadi hadn't been able to sleep properly at night.

Yudhishthir was eating and reading a letter at the same time.   Kunti was scolding him for doing so. Bheem was eating, no, scratch that, gulping food while bending his head down. Unnoticed by him, Nakul was balancing a plate on his head, while Arjun was trying not to laugh. Only Sahadev was eating properly.

Subhadra looked up from feeding Prativindya. She looked at Yudhishthir, on whose usually clam face, had a frown instead. Arjun also noticed this. With difficulty, he turned away from Bheem and glanced at his elder brother.

"What's wrong brata ?" Asked a concerned Arjun. Yudhishthir's eyes looked up at his brother, his eyes hovering right above the letter. He folded it saying, "Hastinapur has invited us to celebrate Diwali with them."

"Oh.", came a timid reply from his younger sister. Subhadra was disappointed. Diwali was celebrated BECAUSE of her brother.

He had defeated Narakasura on Narakchaturdashi and had returned victorious on Diwali. To honor their Lord's returning, the entire Dwarka cleaned their house, wore new clothes and threw off junk. Sweets were distributed to celebrate their king's victory.

Eventually, the entire Aryavart started celebrating this festival as it was believed that Krishna was the 8th avatar of Vishnu, which Subhadra obviously knew, was true.

Now, rather than celebrating her beloved brother's victory at Dwarka, she had to go to Hastinapur, where the Pandava's hated cousins existed ? No. Such a pious festival, celebrated with adharmis ? Huh. My foot.

But she had to. She had been married to a place where sacrifices were required. This was one of them. She would do it (though definitely she would NEVER stop eating sweets as a sacrifice. That happened in her nightmares.)

Hearing his brother's words, Arjun knitted his eyebrows and got out without a word. Bheem ? Not-so-quiet. He threw his chair down, yelling "Ha ! Fat chance Jyesth ! Maybe now, he wants to burn down our chambers in Hastinapur and burn us alive again !!"

Yudhishthir turned to Nakul, who was already walking out, silently portraying his opinion. He looked at Sahadev, his youngest brother, who was smiling.

"I for one brata," he said grinning, " think we should definitely go. I am having a good feeling about this trip."

That was all Yudhishthir needed. He asked a dasi to inform Draupadi to try to convince Bheem and Nakul. He didn't even have to tell Subhadra, who already knew what she had to do.

She promptly left for Arjun's chamber.

IN ARJUN'S CHAMBER -

Subhadra entered without hesitation. It was one thing along with fear, that her brothers forgot to teach her.

Arjun was glancing at the view through the balcony. That usually meant that something's bothering him, Subhadra concluded.

"I don't want to go to Hastinapur again." He said, without even looking back, just sensing her presence.

"Well, you must have a reason, or I can't support you." She answered with a smile.

"Wait. So you don't mind me not agreeing with brata's command ?" He asked, perplexed. " No I don't. Look, I don't want to go anymore than you do, so give me a reason for refusing."

Arjun sighed. "It's just that, this festival is celebrated in Krishna's honor." "Gee, I never knew that." Came a reply.

"You know what I mean Priye, I don't think people who conspire to burn down their own cousins deserve to celebrate such a pious festival. And I feel that if we go there, we will be no better than them."

"Well," said Subhadra taking a step forward, "I think if we don't go, we will be no better than them, and it will appear that we think we are better than them. Do you want your brother to face that ?"

"Yeah, you're right." Arjun said."As always." Was added by her. He smirked. "Yeah. As always." He kissed her and ran to tell his elder brother his agreement.

"Huh," said Subhadra to herself. " Trying to convince Arjun has also convinced me." She wasn't feeling so good so she went out to the palace garden, to soothe herself with her flute music, which always reminded her of her brother.

"Anuje," she imagined him saying, " You are going to get a wonderful surprise soon."

Signing Off,

Invisible Dragon.

Boring I know. But its going to be boring for a while. THEN it gets interesting.