The second gamble

As the Pandava's chariots approached the horizon of Indraprasth, thunder and lightning struck. It was as if Indra was angry at them. Arjun was especially ashamed. (Being his son and all.)

But what he was worried about most is what Krishna would have to say about this. Both Krishnas. He knew that Subhadra had already cone to know about it, with all the anger in the atmosphere and all. But if Arjun had the misfortune to see Krishna's disappointed face, he did not know if he would have the courage to face it. He always prided himself on being his friend. The only thing he was proud about (besides archery). It would destroy him to see Krishna angry...at him !

They reached the front gates, which were closed. They waited for it to open, but they didn't. Even the guards seemed to glare at them. They had become impure, for witnessing such a horrible incident.

One loyal guard was about to open the gates, when a voice stopped him. It was dripping with anger. "Let them be outside." To Arjun's shock, it was Subhadra's voice. (Technically he wasn't shocked but, for the sake of creating drama.)

Yudhishthir didn't say a word. But Bheem dared to ask - " Did Draupadi come here ?" Subhadra was so mad, she was literally shaking. She took a deep breath (her eyes were closed) and was about to answer when her eyes widened.

She commanded the guards "Open the doors please." Okay, it was more like a request but whatever. The guards obeyed. The Pandavas did not enter, as their manners stopped them.

Soon enough, they could hear horses whinnying. They turned to see a familiar pure whit chariot, with Dwarka's flag fluttering above it.

The person seated in it, who usually had a sweet smile, looked distraught. The smile on Arjun's face melted. "Gods," he thought. "He knows."

Krishna got down the chariot and went straight to his sister, ignoring the Pandavas. She greeted him with a watery smile.

"You can come on in now." Said Subhadra. Not even a hint of anger had vanished. "Please forgive us Subhadra." Came the quaking voice of Nakul. "Forgive ?" Repeated Subhadra. "Forgive ? If there is any bit of sense left within you, question yourselves if you are worthy of forgiveness. Are you ?" She thundered, looking at each one of them intently, while they stared down, ashamed. "If you want my forgiveness so much, I suggest you ask your wife for it instead."

"Where is she ?" Questioned Sahadev. "In her chamber." She answered, somewhat more calmly. Sahadev had that effect on people.

They all trooped off towards her chamber, and the requests for her to open the door began. First went Yudhishthir, then Bheem, Arjun and finally the twins.

She did not bother opening the door. They all left, dejected, and Krishna simply stood in front of her door and it flew open.

It took him quite some time to remove all the murderous thoughts from her head. She was literally burning for revenge. He explained to her how big a problem it is, when people behave such a way when she has 5 husbands, what would happen to women who have only one husband ?

She still didn't look convinced, and still wanted to kill everyone present in that court but grudgingly came out and forgave everyone.

Subhadra forgave everyone too. (Much to Arjun's relief.)

They both were once again happy together. But Yudhishthir and Draupadi's relationship just never went back to the way it was. It was clear that the gamble had cut her wounds way too deep to ever be mended.

She swore she would never tie her hair till it was bathed in Dushassan's blood. All the Pandavas (minus Bheem) tried to talk her out of it. As much as they hated it, they were their relatives and no matter what happened, Yudhishthir just couldn't wage a war against his family just for the sake of revenge.

But it looked like fate would force him to do so. Because soon enough, an invitation for Hastinapur arrived, asking to play another dice game, but with a different stake. Whoever loses would go live in a forest for 12 years and 1 year incognito.

Guess what ? Yudhishthir lost. And they had to return ti Indraprasth, to get ready to go to the forest for the next 13 years.....

Sorry took so long for update. Was super busy.

Signing Off,

Invisible Dragon.