3

POV: LEAH

I ended up in the park. I slept on a bench next to a homeless person. His name is George, he's nice. I guess I need to get to know my new neighbors.

I'm here since yesterday, I ran straight trough the city, right to this bench. I didn't see my mom yet, that is also something that is bound to happen soon. First I need a good explanation for why I can't accept my call up, and I need one that The Ashlyn Harris will believe.

Do I say that my mother is sick and I need to take care of her? This is a good idea actually, that way I can explain why nobody, except for Annie then, has ever seen her.

Annie. I need to talk to her too, shit.

Leah's school

"Leah! You're back!"

How in the hell is she still here?

"Ashlyn"

"Please start calling me Ash, Ashlyn sounds like a ninety year old grandma!"

"Ash, hey, I thought I should explain properly as for why I can't accept your call up"

"Please, follow me to a quieter place"

Okay, shit is about to go down, keep calm and be believable. If she doesn't believe me, what do I say or do?

"First things first, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, thank you"

"Do you care to explain that bruise?"

Shit. This can't be happening. Well yeah, that's my mother's doing. She beats the shit out of me for almost every day and this is a lovely piece of Van Gogh on my right side. Okay, I need to improvise and fast.

"Leah, you know you can tell me everything, right?"

How is it that I trust her so bad? But that's it. I am about to breakdown. Right in front of my idol, what more could go wrong? I started crying, and before I knew what had happened, Ashlyn embraced me in the most motherly hug I have received in my whole life.

"Shhh, it's okay. We'll get through this. Calm down, it's okay"

"I can't do this anymore Ash. I can't"

"Can you tell me what you mean?"

"She beats me, she is horrible"

"Who beats you Leah?"

Do I tell her? Do I trust a person who I met literally yesterday?

"Leah"

"My mom. She beats me almost every day and this bruise is one of those times"

"Oh Leah, everything is going to be okay, I'll make sure of that"

"How can you be so sure? She is all I have left, I don't have any other family"

"You don't have a father or any grandparents?"

"My grandparents all died not too long ago and thanks to my mom I no longer have a brother or a father"

This silence is getting too long, why isn't she saying anything?

"Ash?"

"I'm here, just processing... how about you go with me? Just for the day so we can figure something out?"

"Are you asking me to come with you to camp?"

"If you want to, yes"

"Oh my God! Yes! Do I get to meet Ali Krieger and Alex Morgan?"

"Hahaha, yes you can meet all of them!"

This is the best and worst day of my life! I can meet all of my idols and I got rid of my mom. I still don't know if that last thing is good or bad, but we'll see.

At camp

"So, I'm going to be at training for the next two hours. Will you be okay here?"

We're in her hotel room. She sneaked me in and she got me all sorts of Nintendo games. No doubt she stole those from Tobin's room.

"I'm fine, go so you're not late!"

"Oh, I'm already late, but whatever. Bye! See you in two hours or so"

"Bye Ash, thank you!"

POV: ASHLYN

At training

"Ash! Care to explain why you are twenty minutes late?"

Ugh, why is she always so fast!

"Uhm, so I did a thing"

"Oh no, what did you do!"

"Jill, can we speak alone? I think we're getting a little too much attention right now"

"Yeah sure, follow me"

So, I'm in deep shit now. I practically kidnapped someone and stuck her in my hotel room. Please don't be mad Jillie Willie. Something like that, no?

"Ash, what's wrong?"

"Well so-"

"And please don't lie to me"

Wow, is that really what she thinks of me? I just don't tell the truth all the time...

"I got a kid out of trouble but now I don't know what to do. She's here"

"Are you saying you brought her to camp?"

"Well, that is exactly what I'm saying"

"Oh Ashlyn Harris you are in big trouble!"

Well shit, there goes my starting position for the next few matches I guess...