Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Ch 18: Tim Sullivan

After the longest second of Ben's life, everybody else swam back up to the surface. Putting a smile back on his face, Tim extended his hand. "Hi, I don't think we've met."

"Not officially," Nino said, shaking hands. "Nino Ventura."

"Ah," Tim said, the recognition dawning on him as the handshake of all handshakes continued going. "You're right. Tim Sullivan."

Ben backed away slowly, slinking over to Lincoln. He grabbed his friend's arm for dear life and whispered, "Why do they keep shaking hands?"

Freddy chuckled. "It's called a pissing contest, Ben."

"It's great we're finally meeting," Nino said with a polite smile Ben didn't recognize.

"I agree." Tim mirrored this plastic smile. "Ben has said so much about you."

"Hm. Yeah, Ben mentioned you a few times."

"Shots!" Ben shouted, snatching one of the small shot glasses Nino brought over. "Nino brought shots! Let's go! Happy Birthday, Ethan!"

"Happy Birthday to me!" Ethan echoed and threw back his shot, creating a domino effect except for Nino, who just watched. Ben pushed a shot towards Ethan and clinked their glasses together before Ben knocked back another, letting the warmth settle into his bones. "We gotta dance," Ethan said, and Ben clapped, ready to go.

He grabbed Ethan, and the rest followed, until Lincoln called out, "Not you." He pointed at Nino like a threat.

"Do you want me to stay?" Freddy asked.

"No," Lincoln said and patted his husband's chest. "Go dance. Nino and I just need to catch up."

"If you insist." Freddy gave him a quick kiss and then threw an arm around Ben's neck, dragging him to the dance floor, filled with bodies dancing to the old disco music pulsing in the air. His heart dancing along to the same beat. Ben didn't know a single song, but he didn't need to know the words. Ben's mind was blank for the first time in a long time. Ben just danced, and he had the biggest smile on his face. It was nice to feel like a person again.

He jumped around person to person, dancing with Ethan, Freddy, Tim, and eventually Lincoln, who pulled Ben from behind by his hips. The heat didn't even matter. All of Ben's tension just melted away, and he just danced loose and free, without a care in the world. Usually, Ben hated the crowds, but tonight he didn't seem to mind it. It made it even more thrilling. Everything about tonight reminded him he was a living, breathing, person. Tim and Lincoln left for more drinks.

Searching his group, Ben couldn't find Nino. Glancing through the bodies and bodies, Ben couldn't see Nino anywhere. He turned back, the lone person standing still as he noticed Nino was still at the table. Nino stood out from others not just because he was alone. He just looked like a God among men. Ben caught his attention.

Ben waved him over, but Nino shook his head and Ben just insisted, waving even harder. All that did was make Nino laugh and shake his head at the drink he hadn't touched. This wouldn't do. Leaning into Lincoln, Ben said, "One second."

Pushing through the crowd, Ben walked right up to the ledge and the only thing between them. He hung off the railing, resting his face against the cool metal. It was such a relief, this coolness and Nino's beautiful face. "Come dance," Ben called out.

Nino shook his head. "I'm alright."

"That wasn't a question, Mr. Ventura," Ben tried using his most commanding voice, despite his smile. "Get out here and dance with me. When's the next time we're gonna have a moment like this...?" Saying it out loud made Ben's chest ache, but he pushed it away and dug his heels into the ground. "Let's go. Show everybody how it's done."