Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Ch 23: You can talk to me

The moment Nino parked in a long driveway, Evie unbuckled and threw her hand out to Nino, making grabby hands. "Keys, keys, keys, please."

"Here," Nino said with a chuckle. He relinquished the keys, and she flew out of the car. "Hey! Relax, kid! We're going to be here for a while, so try soaking it in!"

She didn't answer, speeding up to the most modern looking house Ben had ever seen with two stories and a square tower one floor higher. It was all huge windows and sharp edges. The foliage was cut clean and even the rocks looked squeaky clean. Behind it all was a private beach and the expanse of the ocean at their feet.

Evie was already inside before Ben could unbuckle. He glanced at Nino, who had been watching her go. Ben couldn't help but smile. This softer side, this family side of Nino made the butterflies in Ben's stomach freak out. Ben rubbed the back of Nino's neck, smiling fondly at him. "You're doing great."

"Thanks," Nino said, playing along.

He turned and when Ben saw those red eyes again, his stomach and smile dropped. "What's going on? Why are your eyes red? You said you filled up before we left."

"It's the sun," Nino explained. "It takes a lot of magic and power to survive like this. We're going to need to make sure Evie's eating and eating often. I have a feeling she's going to pretend she's fine just to please us."

"You've really gotten to know her, huh?"

Nino sighed. "We gotta get her a pair of sunglasses too."

Ben nodded. He let his hand fall down Nino's arm, giving it a little squeeze. This was all Ben's fault at the end of the day. Taking Evie to get a scry stone, being caught up with Gabriel's henchmen, and even agreeing to go to the beach. Ben did nothing but give Nino a hard time. He worked up the courage to say, "Well, if it'll help, you can bite me."

Nino's shoulders and head dropped under the weight of Ben's words. He let out a sigh that sounded a lot like a final plea. "What is it?" Ben asked, but Nino shook his head.

"It's nothing," he said in the most "it is something" way Ben had ever heard and the knots in Ben's stomach double knotted and he almost keeled over into the floor mats. Incredible. Nino wasn't budging. His door stayed locked shut. Ben couldn't take it anymore. When Nino went for his door, Ben leaned right over him and locked it again. Nino snapped a fierce look at him.

"What are you—?"

"Evie!" Ben yelled. Keeping his hand on the lock, Ben turned towards the condo and yelled again, "Evie! Come out here!"

Thankfully her little vampire hearing led her back out the front door. "What?" She called back.

"Lock the door! We're going out!"

"But we just got here," Nino said.

Evie echoed, "But we just got here!"

"And now we're leaving!" Ben shouted, putting his foot down and before either of them knew it, all three were walking the boardwalk. The ocean water crashed incessantly against the beach and the air was teeming with salt. The humidity and heat was already clinging to Ben's skin. The sun was fully set, making the stars the backdrop and the old street lamps their source of light. Walking in a line, Evie ran ahead down a wooden bridge that stopped at a gazebo where people typically went fishing. Ben followed her while Nino lagged behind Ben.

Nino was probably afraid Ben was going to force another thing in his hands. They already had classic corn dogs and French fries. Despite Nino saying he didn't want anything, Nino was awarded all of it, a bag of cotton candy, and an iced coke. Ben dragged him to the little carnival games surrounding the Ferris wheel.