Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Ch 27: It's complicated.

The next few hours were a blur between being awoken in a car to eating something and drinking apple juice to finding himself in a private jet. There was a small gift basket left on a chair with a note from Dante that simply said, "Safe travels."

Vaguely threatening for a nice message.

Just a little something to remind everyone Dante was still lurking around.

All the time.

On the plane, Ben took Nino's hand and held on tight. Even when they landed back in the city, Ben didn't let him go. He couldn't let himself think too much or he'd spiral. If he just held onto Nino's hand, all he'd have to think about was holding it. He focused on his grip, Nino's skin, his temperature, and if Nino needed it back. Nino never did. Together, they went straight to the hospital. Ben hated the drive, the waiting, and even asking to visit Lincoln Jones. A living nightmare, it was an out of body experience going through one worst scenario to the next. At least he didn't have to worry about Evie getting snatched in the city because she was glued to him the way Ben was stuck on Nino.

Going up to the room, Ben stopped himself from running through the halls and causing another accident. He readied himself for the wires and machines, preparing to be someone strong for Freddie to lean onto. Freddie was going to need him too.

Ben softly knocked on the door.

"Come in," Lincoln said.

Lincoln.

Ben snapped his wide-eyed shock at Nino, wondering if he also heard Lincoln's voice too, alive, well, and even in a good mood. Nino just blinked blankly back at him. Shaking it off, Ben opened the doors, pouring inside with the rest and stared at Lincoln sitting up in bed, looking just as surprised to see them standing there.

"Lincoln?" Ben blinked.

"Ben?" Lincoln echoed. "What are you doing here?"

There weren't any wires attached to Lincoln. His wrist was in a cast, but other than that, he looked better than Ben and Nino combined. Ben had to ask and make sure, "You're okay?"

"Uh, yeah?" Lincoln said, obviously wondering the same thing about him.

Ben couldn't take it anymore.

He burst into tears, tears streaming down his face, and he couldn't say anything. All this pressure pushed against the front of his face, threatening to make his brains burst out his eye sockets next. He wrapped around Lincoln like a little kid that found a toy they wanted at the store. Lincoln held his arms up for a beat, unsure what to do.

"What in the world is going on?" Lincoln asked, thinking they were nuts. "Nino, you're freaking me out. Blink, breathe, move, or something. Ben, you too. Breathe."

Doing as he told, Ben took a deep shuddering breath and then cried more. Closing the door behind him, Nino finally entered the room, standing just behind Ben. Evie tiptoed to Nino's side, almost hiding behind him.

Lincoln finally held Ben back as Nino said, so steady and firm, "Lincoln, do me a favor and never get injured again."

Ben turned up to look at him and his serious brow. Nino motioned to the gist of the room and said, "All of this, it's on me. I'll take care of your medical expenses."

"What..." Lincoln blinked again. "What is going on? What did you think happened to me?" Lincoln grabbed Ben's shoulders and forced him to sit up.

"Your husband made it sound like you were dying," Nino explained for them. "Like we needed to hurry back or else."

"He did what?"

Ben used his shirt collar to wipe down his face. It still felt sticky and hot and it was an immediate headache like a sledgehammer to his forehead. Lincoln explained, "It's just a broken wrist and some bruising. They were worried about a mild concussion, but I'm leaving today. Now, actually. Freddie's just grabbing the paperwork."