Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch 25: Evie?

Ben never had a lot of friends. As an adult, the ones he somehow managed to obtain now were specially chosen and now that Ben had them, they were never allowed to escape. Years of being pathetic made Ben impossible to leave alone for long periods of time. Hence, Lincoln and his husband basically adopted Ben as their own. And with best friends like Lincoln and Freddie, why did Ben need to make anymore?

As a kid, when it came to other kids, Ben was so worried about getting hurt, he never tried to make those friends. Ben always hated pain, pain of all kinds, including rejection... but more than anything, he didn't want to feel the inevitable hurt from one day being forced to leave. Ben never wanted to get attached and suffer the rips and tears after being pulled apart from someone he loved. Ben could get too attached and never recover from the loss of a good thing.

No friends to have fun with, but also with no friends to fight with either meant Ben had never experienced the silent treatment before. But from sitting on the beach on a lounge chair beside Nino, Ben finally had a sample of it and the taste curdled in his stomach.

They sat underneath a large white canopy for premium shade on lounge chairs people from the hotel behind them brought out. Between them Evie was digging a hole to the center of the earth. Like usual, both Evie and Nino were more covered than anyone on this beach with hats, sunglasses, and bathing suit covers. Nino wore long flowy linen pants with a matching button up while Evie wore a similar, but pink dress with sleeves. It was easier for Ben to ignore the strange looks when he knew that little fabric might save her skin.

It was their last day at the beach, so Nino wanted it to be the classic experience for Evie. Ben got the feeling the Ventura family weren't beach vacation people, or honestly, vacation people in general.

If it wasn't for the other tourists on the beach, their music, their laughter, and the crash of the waves, Ben might've gone crazy from the silence between him and Nino. It was a game of chicken and Ben didn't want to be the first to crack.

In the corner of his eyes, Ben glanced at Nino, who had a paperback curled in his large hand and he seemed to be actually reading it. His arm behind his head, he was unconsciously flexing it. A droplet of sweat slid down its shape and Ben couldn't explain the way his mouth watered. It was basic human science. Nino cracked his neck and Ben suddenly found something interesting to watch on the shoreline.

"How's the tunnel?" Ben asked Evie.

She sighed. "I'm bored."

"So, it's bad."

She twisted around, a little smile on her lips. "Can we go look for seashells?"

Ben looked to Nino for permission, but Nino just shrugged. He said, "Do whatever you want."

Nino was so lucky they were surrounded by people, so Ben couldn't have the big fight he wanted. Ben rolled his eyes. "I said I was sorry."

"I know. It's fine," Nino said in a way that sounded like nothing was fine and Ben absolutely ruined this trip. "Go find seashells."

Evie got up and dusted the sand off her dress. "Do you have any requests, Uncle Nino?"

"One of the twisty ones," Nino said to amuse her.

Evie put two thumbs up. "You got it."

Well, at least he was still being nice to her. Ben offered his hand out and Evie took it, walking out of the tent. Ben put up a warning finger. "We'll only stay out for a few minutes. I don't want you to get burned." Out here in the midst of the heat with no coverage and the white sand, Evie's pale skin was vibrant, practically glowing. She could blind him if she raised her arm in the right spot.