Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch 30: You're lying

Out in nature, dangerous creatures were covered in warning signs. Venomous snakes could be identified by the shape of their heads. Puffer fish with their sharp needle-covered bodies. There were alarming animal size, their teeth and the growl from their hungry bellies. Anyone with any self-preservation wouldn't walk into a burning house or the middle of a busy highway. 

When Ben first saw Nino, he should've known better. 

When Nino told Ben he was a vampire, he should've immediately run. 

Nino did warn him that this was always going to end one way.  

It was too late now. 

Ben met Nino's eyes and every cell in his body crackled like logs splitting apart in a raging fire, sparks scattering across his skin and searing his whole body. The heat melted down through his skin and boiling down to his core. With nowhere to run or hide, Ben crossed his arms and couldn't move from his spot. He shouldn't feel embarrassed, but it was like being a kid getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar. 

"How long have you been standing there?" Ben asked, panic jump-starting his heart. He desperately needed to know how much Nino heard. How much did he see? Did Nino watch Tim kiss him? Ben searched for the answer in Nino's sullen face, his darkened eyes, but this was the first time Ben couldn't read him. 

Nino took the first step and Ben unconsciously held his breath. It was a fight to keep his cool. Ben thought he had time to prepare for this conversation, prepare to see Nino again... but Ben was never prepared. He lost his mind every time they were alone together.  

"For a while," Nino admitted. The sound of his voice breaking Ben's spirit. A few days without him felt like the whole season went by, like Ben should be worried Nino wouldn't recognize him. He missed him so much. Nino's face was frozen in a stern expression as he kept his voice steady. Ben was drawn to it, taking the next step. They bridged the gap between them, finding the light from inside to shine down on them. Nino asked, "What are you doing back here?"

"Evie was hungry." Ben shrugged, pinching the edge of his shirt sleeve. "I didn't know where to go to feed her and you..." Ben did everything to keep from raising his voice. He resented the fact he could feel guilty over something that Nino made him choose. "You left."

"And you managed," Nino argued. 

"I guess but..." Ben clenched his fist, keeping himself from shaking Nino around. He was holding himself back, refusing to give away how angry and sad he was with Nino. It made Ben's temper crackle that he could be exploding with so much emotion and Nino could just stand there like a blank slate. Ben was the only one losing his mind. 

Ben sighed. "We weren't happy about it." Ben reached out to touch him. "I was worried about you." 

"I'm a vampire, Ben." Nino shrugged, brushing Ben off. "You don't have to worry about me—"

"I'm worried about Nino," Ben cut him off, standing his ground. This wasn't a screaming match, but Ben still felt like he was fighting, fighting for his life, fighting for them. "I worry about you. I'm afraid that you're not taking care of yourself or your heart." 

Again, Ben left Nino speechless. He just looked away from Ben, glancing up at the apartment. Ben shook his head. "I'm getting tired of you running away all the time."

As if annoyed, closing his eyes, Nino sighed. "I don't want to do this again."

"I do. Do you think because you walked away, I suddenly don't feel the same way? That's not possible. Nino..." Ben took a deep shuddering breath and dropped his arms. He dropped all his defenses at Nino's feet. Ben was exhausted. He couldn't keep up with Nino anymore. So, he stopped. Holding arms out and showing all his most vulnerable spots, Ben said, "I don't want to lie anymore. I don't want to pretend I don't feel anything for you anymore."

icon lock

Show your support for Miss Bonnett, and continue reading this story

by Miss Bonnett
@MissBonnett
Everything between vampire mafioso, Nino, and a human with high-quali...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @MissBonnett.