Chapter 5

"Good afternoon class," Hooch called out as she walked past them

"Good afternoon class," Hooch called out as she walked past them. Y/n was happy to be in the first flying class, not that he really needed it because he had practised before but that didn't make this any less exciting unless you count the fact that there was Hermione who seemed to be stressed about this class, Y/n had seen her with a book about flying and tips on how to fly better which he found amusing.

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch," The class replied in sync as they stood there.

"Good afternoon, good afternoon," She spun around to face the class with a smile on her face. "Welcome to your first flying lesson, well what are you waiting for?" She asked as she watched them. "Everyone, step up to the left side of their broomstick, come on now hurry up," The class one by one did as they were told. "Stick your right hand over the broom and say up,"

Y/n calmly opened his mouth as he watched the stick, "Up," The broom flew up and into his hand, followed only a second later by Harry which earned him and Potter a weird stare from Hermione. "Come on, Hermione," Y/n encourage the brunette next to him as she called out to the broom. "Straighten your back and focus, you want to tell the broom to come up, not ask it," Y/n placed a hand on her shoulder and used the other to guide her hand. "Deep breath and command it," He added as he watched her do just that, it took her another few more tries before the broom flew up and into her hands with a smile, Y/n let go of her before turning to Ron. "Ron, not like that or you're going to," Y/n didn't get to finish before the stick flew up and whacked Ron right on the forehead, causing him and a few other students to laugh.

"Oh, shut up the two of you," Ron smiled at Y/n and Harry as he rubbed his forehead.

"Now, once you've gotten ahold of your broom, I want you to mount it," Hooch spoke as she watched each child holding their broomstick before throwing one leg over it. "Grip it tight, you don't want to be sliding off the end."

"You okay?" Y/n asked as he watched the nervousness haunt Hermione's face, she simply nodded as she looked at the broomstick. "Don't worry, I'm right here so you don't have to worry about anything," Y/n reassured the girl with a smile.

"When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground, hard," Hooch explained as she walked past them. "Keep your brooms steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down,"

"See, that's it," Y/n turned his attention back to Hermione. "You've got this,"

"On my whistle, 3...2..." Hooch blew into her whistle and before anyone could think, Neville had already lifted off the ground, not looking too steady. "Mister Longbottom," Hooch called as everyone watched him shake uneasily, before taking off. "Mister Longbottom, come down this instantly," Hooch demanded which caused Y/n to roll his eyes, everyone could see that Neville had no idea what he was doing so Y/n couldn't understand the point of telling him that.

Y/n's grip on his broom tightened as the thought of flying after the kid crossed his mind but a soft hand on his shoulders prevented him as Hermione watched the scene play out with fear in her eyes. Just then Y/n saw Neville headed straight for them while Madam Hooch dived out of the way, following her lead Y/n grabbed Hermione and jumped out of the way, making sure to cushion her fall before slowly getting up with her. "Thanks," She mumbled as they watched Neville fly past a statue and his rob got caught.