Chapter 4. Promise

Murtasim observed Meerab pacing angrily in the garden. Reminded of his own impulsive behavior in the past, where he had disregarded the family honor, he felt a pang of guilt. He decided it was time to approach her and give her the opportunity to be heard. She deserved to have someone listen to her.

Murtasim signaled to Anwar to proceed to the car and made his way towards Meerab. "Meerab!" he called out to her.

"I don't want to talk to you," she responded curtly.

"But I want to," Murtasim insisted, closing the distance with just two long strides, positioning himself in front of her.

"I'm here to listen, to understand what happened," he expressed sincerely.

"Oh wow, bohat jaldi khayal nahi aa gaya?" Her voice had an underlying tone of sarcasm.

"Meerab, please. I'm already pressed for time," Murtasim pleaded.

Meerab took a deep breath and made the decision to disclose everything, fully aware that this was the only way to clear her name.

Unbeknownst to both of them, Anwar stood at a distance, attentively listening to the explanation.

Once Meerab finished speaking, Murtasim responded, "Alright, I'll handle the situation and ensure that Naseeb faces the consequences. You don't need to worry about it any longer. I will also explain everything to Chacha Sahab."

"Uss ki zaroorat nahi hai. Beta mei tum se mazrat chahta hu. Tum tou waqayi apna difa kar rahi thi." Anwar muttered guiltily.
(There's no need of that. I'm sorry for not believing you dear. You were really defending yourself.)

"It's alright, Baray Abu. Misunderstandings can happen in relationships, but if we don't address them through communication, they will only escalate," Meerab expressed calmly before heading back inside the house.

"Anwar Chacha, I believe you also owe an apology to Waqas Chacha," Murtasim said once Meerab had left, to which Anwar nodded in agreement, acknowledging his responsibility.

"Waqas hum ne bachi ko samajhne me ghalti kardi shayad. Meerab ne jo kiya theek hi kiya. Agar uss ki koi ghalti hai tou wo ye hai ke wo baghair bataye ghar se chali gayi." Anwar explained to Waqas who was glad to hear that the misunderstanding was cleared up.
(Waqas I think we misunderstood Meerab. What she did was right, her only mistake if any was that she left without informing anyone.)

---

"Mubarak ho Anwar, beti huwi hai", Salma Begum's voice broke through the silence in the living room where Shah Nawaz Khan, Anwar Khan and Waqas Ahmed were seated awaiting the good news.
(Congratulations Anwar. It's a girl)

Salma Begum handed the little princess to her husband who took her in his arms and kissed her on the forehead. "Mere Murtasim ki Meerab hai ye." He uttered and gave Meerab to Anwar.
(She is my Murtasim's Meerab.)

Everybody was happy till Anila came outside of the room and said, "Bhabhi Begum, Anwar Bhai Nazia Bhabhi ko hosh nahi aa raha."
(Bhabhi Begum, Anwar Bhai Nazia Bhabhi is still unconscious.)

Salma Begum and Anwar Khan hurriedly entered the room where the midwife delivered the devastating news of Nazia's passing. The weight of this tragedy shattered Anwar's heart and cast a shadow over the joyous atmosphere surrounding Meerab's birth.

In an attempt to alleviate Anwar's grief, Salma Begum brought the baby into the room, hoping the sight would bring him solace. However, his reaction took her completely by surprise. "Le jaye isse yaha se. Mei iss ki shakal tak nahi dekhna chahta."
(Take her away from here. I don't even want to look at her.)