Chapter 13. Heart Attack

"Meerab, wake up, we need to leave as soon as possible," his voice stirred her from slumber. Her eyes met the wall clock, which indicated it was three in the morning. Would she ever experience a peaceful night's sleep after marriage? she pondered. She recalled the tales of sleepless nights especially in the early days of marriage shared by her married friends, though those seemed to carry a different context.

"Ab aj kahan jana hai?" she mumbled irritatedly as she left the bed.
(Where do we have to go now?)

"Karachi," his reply was succinct.

"Kyu?" she asked as she headed towards the washroom.
(Why?)

"There's an emergency..." he trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"Baba?" She asked her voice cracking.

Murtasim just nodded.

"Kya huwa unhe? Please tell me he's alright," her voice trembled, tears brimming her eyes.
(What happened to him?)

"He's alive but I need you to be strong okay?" he said gently.

Meerab couldn't say anything for a few seconds. "Huwa kya hai Murtasim?" her voice called out from inside the washroom.
(What has happened Murtasim?)

"He had a heart attack," his reply was solemn.

"Kya?" she asked in shock, her hand covering her mouth, as she emerged from the washroom after having freshened up.
(What?)

Murtasim's expression was grave as he nodded. "Yes, he had a cardiac arrest. You know he was already dealing with heart issues, and the stress related to recent events likely triggered it. He's stable for now, at least that's what Anwar Chacha said when I talked to him a few minutes ago."

"Baray Abu waha hain?" She asked, disbelief and worry evident in her voice.
(Baray Abu is there?)

"Yes, he's at the hospital with your parents. Anila Chachi called Anwar Chacha first before informing me, and I couldn't leave without you. It took me quite some time to wake you up since you were sleeping so soundly," Murtasim explained.

"Let's go then," she said sounding urgent.

As they headed out, Meerab's mind was a whirlwind of emotions. Her father's condition was serious, and the thought of him suffering because of the recent events weighed heavily on her. She was grateful for Murtasim's presence and support in this difficult time, even though their relationship was far from ideal.

In the hospital, her eyes fell upon her mother, who seemed lost and sorrowful. Without a second thought, she rushed towards her, seeking solace in her mother's embrace, and her tears flowed freely.

"Mei mil sakti hu baba se?" She managed to ask amidst her sobs, needing to see her father.
(Can I meet Baba?)

Anila's response was a slow, regretful shake of the head. "Why not?" Meerab's voice wavered with a mix of urgency and desperation.

"He's already under immense stress, and seeing you might only worsen his condition. I can't risk that," Anila's words were spoken with an air of detached practicality, even if they cut right through her daughter's emotional turmoil.

Meerab felt a rush of conflicting emotions well up within her. The urge to see her father, to reassure herself that he was okay, battled with the harsh reality that her mere presence could potentially harm him. She knew her mother's practicality often came across as cold, but it was a defense mechanism she had developed over the years.

Her eyes searched her mother's face for a sign of empathy, a hint of understanding. "Mama, please, I need to see him. I need to know that he's okay."

"Murtasim beta, isse le jao, please," she implored her son-in-law, her voice holding a mixture of plea and resignation as she addressed him instead of directly replying to her daughter's pleas.
(Murtasim please take her away.)

"Mama, I need to see him, please. Just let me have a moment with him, and then I'll leave," Meerab's voice quivered with desperation as she tried to reason, her eyes pleading with her mother. Murtasim's grip on her hand tightened, his silence a clear indication of his support.

Anila turned away, a veil of tears shimmering in her eyes, her emotions caught between motherly concern and her practical resolve. In the midst of this emotional tug-of-war, Murtasim gently but resolutely guided Meerab towards the waiting car, her sobs echoing in the air like a heart-wrenching melody of longing and grief.

In the car, Meerab's tears seemed endless, and Murtasim wordlessly handed her a tissue, his own heart heavy with the weight of her pain.

"So this is it, huh?" Meerab's voice was bitter, laced with frustration. "They kept me for 25 years on your father's request, and now that I've grown emotionally attached to them, believing them to be my parents, they're going to act as if my feelings don't matter."

"No, it's not like that, Meerab," Murtasim responded calmly, trying to ease the tension. "They still love you. You're still their daughter, and they've raised you to become who you are today. Anila Chachi is just concerned for your father's well-being. He's her husband, and I might add that she doesn't have anyone else in this world apart from him and you. She only wants to shield him from additional stress and you from potential guilt if seeing you adversely affects his health."

"You don't understand, Murtasim. You have no idea how all of this feels," Meerab retorted, her frustration palpable. She struggled to continue her thoughts, but Murtasim interjected.

"Just hear me out, Meerab," he urged gently. "Despite the circumstances of our marriage, if there was anything that could potentially harm me, would you let it come my way if you had a choice?"

She paused for a moment, then shook her head.

"Put yourself in your mother's shoes, Meerab," Murtasim continued. "She didn't want to hurt you, but I know it must have hurt because you already feel betrayed by your parents. Just give yourself and them some time. Things will improve soon, I promise. Time is one of the most powerful healers."

Meerab sighed, her anger and frustration gradually ebbing away as Murtasim's words began to sink in. She looked out of the car window, lost in her thoughts for a moment.

"I know you're right," she admitted finally, her voice softer now. "It's just... everything happened so fast. I found out about my real parents, got married to you in this unusual situation, and now Baba's health crisis. It's overwhelming."

Murtasim reached over and gently squeezed her hand. "I understand, Meerab. It's a lot to process, and it's okay to feel overwhelmed. Just remember, we're in this together. And I promise, I'll be here to support you every step of the way."

She turned to look at him, her eyes meeting his. She felt a little guilty now for her behaviour last night. Despite the circumstances, she found a sense of reassurance in his eyes. A glimmer of trust began to form within her.

"Thank you, Murtasim," she said softly, her voice laden with gratitude. "I really don't know how I would have managed all of this without you."

He gave her a sincere smile. "You don't have to thank me. We're partners now, remember? Partners support each other through thick and thin."

As the car continued on its journey back to Hyderabad, Meerab felt a sense of connection with Murtasim that she hadn't anticipated. The road ahead was uncertain, but having someone by her side who understood her and was willing to stand with her made the journey a little less daunting.

********************************

Waqas is NOT dying incase you are worried.

Please do comment however you feel about this part. Constructive Criticism is welcome too :)