Chapter 9. NIKAH

Upon hearing about Mir Hadi's wrongdoings and the potential tarnishing of Meerab's and their family's reputation, Waqas expressed his concern. "Mir Hadi ki badkirdari ki waja se Meerab ki aur humare khandan ki badnami hogi," he said worriedly.
(My daughter's honour will be tarnished because of Mir Hadi.)

Anwar had a suggestion in mind. "Waqas, iss sab ka ek hi hal hai," he said confidently.
(Waqas there's only one solution to all of this.)

"Kesa hal Anwar Bhai?" Anila asked curiously.
(What kind of solution?)

"Meerab aur Murtasim ka Nikah kardya jaye," Anwar suggested.
(Get Meerab and Murtasim married.)

Waqas shook his head, "Meerab kabhi nahi maanegi."
(Meerab would never agree.)

Salma Begum chimed in, "Hume usse manana hoga. Ye uss ki aur khandan ki izzat ka sawal hai."
(We will make her. The family honor is at stake.)

Anila tried to argue, "Lekin Bhabhi Begum, Meerab pe hum aese achanak kese itna bara faisla musallat karden."
(But Bhabhi Begum how can we impose such a big decision on her?)

"Izzat bachane ke liye iss ke ilawa koi hal bhi tou nahi hai," Salma Begum replied determinedly.
(There's no other way to save the family honor.)

Waqas tried to reassure Anila, "Anila, tum fikar matt karo. Mujhy yaqeen hai Meerab apne baba ki majboori ko samjhegi," his eyes teary with hope.
(Anila, don't you worry. I'm sure Meerab will understand the predicament we're in.)

The elders, united in their decision, then made their way to the stage to announce the momentous step they were about to take.

~~~Meerab~~~

Meerab's heart felt like it was being pulled in conflicting directions. She couldn't believe what she had just heard. Her Baba, the person she loved and trusted the most, was asking Murtasim to marry her? It was a decision that seemed hasty and surreal, given the current circumstances.

In the midst of her emotional turmoil after discovering her fiancé's involvement in having relations with other women, Meerab felt overwhelmed by the sudden suggestion of marrying Murtasim. Nobody seemed to consider her feelings or emotional state; they were solely focused on preserving the so-called "khandan ki izzat" (family honor).

"But Baba..." Meerab tried to express her feelings, but Salma Begum interrupted her, dismissing her concerns. "Ye mera aur Anwar ka faisla hai behtar hoga ke tum apne bap ko mazeed pareshan matt karo. Wo pehle hi dil ka mareez hai."
(This is mine and Anwar's decision. It would be better if you do not trouble your father further. He's already a heart patient.)

Feeling cornered, Meerab couldn't hold back her frustration. "Ap ka aur Baray Abu ka faisla? Ap log hote kon hain meri zindagi ke faislay lene walay?"
(Yours and Baray Abu's decision? Who are you to take decisions for me?)

Anwar spoke angrily, "Waqas tum bataoge isse ya mei batau ke iss ka asli bap kon hai?"
(Waqas are you going to tell her who her biological father is or should I?)

Confused and hurt, Meerab asked, "Kya matlab mera asli bap kon hai? Baba ye log kya keh rahe hain? Mere baba tou ap hain na please bataye inhe."
(What do you mean who my biological father is? Baba what is he saying. Please tell him that you're my father, aren't you?)

"Nahi Meerab. Mei tumhara bap nahi hu. Mujhy maaf kardo beta," Waqas confessed, his head hung low with sorrow and guilt.
(No Meerab I'm not your father. Please forgive me dear.)

Before she could comprehend her Baba's words, Murtasim interjected, "Tou kis ki beti hai Meerab? Ap log aese kese kisi aesi larki se mera Nikah kar sakte hain jis ki waldiyat hi laa pata ho?"
(Then whose daughter is she? How can you get me married to a girl whose parentage is unknown?)