Chapter 10. Wedding Night

The events that followed after her agreement to the Nikah appeared as a blur, until she found herself seated on Murtasim's bed, a delicate veil draping her face.

She had become his wife. Married to a man she had once held affection for-Murtasim Khan, the feudal lord. Any moment now, he could enter the room, her husband by law, with the right to claim what was now his. Yet, she wasn't emotionally prepared for such an intimate bond.

A faint creak of the door reached her ears, and she discerned his entrance through the translucent veil. Her heart quickened its pace, threatening to burst free from her chest.

Tears hovered on the brink of spilling from her eyes, triggered by his presence that starkly reminded her of the series of events leading up to this moment. The mattress beneath her shifted slightly, signaling his seated position as her vision remained blurred by her teary gaze.

With a gentle touch, he lifted the veil that concealed her face. In response, her eyes instinctively lowered, avoiding his penetrating stare. Through her watery vision, she watched as he delicately slid a ring onto her finger for the "mun dikhayi" ritual. Wordlessly, he rose from his seat, heading toward the terrace.

His name escaped her lips, a desperate plea that arrested his movement. He pivoted, locking eyes with her, and she silently questioned him. The weight of her gaze seemed to compel him to speak.

"I won't touch you until you're comfortable with it," he assured, his voice carrying sincerity. "The past doesn't matter now. You're my wife, and I won't allow anyone to harm you or speak ill of you. You should change and try to rest. We'll discuss everything in the morning. Goodnight, Meerab."

He turned away again and departed. Through the window, her eyes caught the sight of him lighting a cigarette.

After changing into different clothes and removing her makeup, she pressed her face into the pillow, letting her tears seep into the fabric.

Murtasim's gaze shifted toward her, his emotions in turmoil as he observed her tear-stained face. He had intentionally left her alone, understanding her need for solitude to process the whirlwind of emotions that had swept over her. Yet, the sight of her in tears tugged at his heart, igniting a desire to offer solace, to express the feelings he had locked away. But the reality of their circumstances held him back, a heavy reminder of the complex web they now found themselves entangled in.

As the night waned and the first light of dawn began to paint the sky, Murtasim's keen senses picked up the ebb and flow of Meerab's sobs. He knew that her tears had eventually given way to exhaustion, the weight of the situation and her emotions lulling her into an uneasy slumber.

With a sigh, he cautiously entered the room, his steps silent as he moved to the other side of the bed. Settling in as quietly as he could, Murtasim closed his eyes, the weight of weariness pulling him into sleep.

Meerab stirred, her eyes fluttering open as she felt the pull of the blanket. Confusion clouded her thoughts for a moment before the events of the previous night flooded back. Groggily sitting up, her gaze landed on Murtasim, who was sleeping soundly beside her, cocooned in the blanket.

Attempting to tug the blanket back to her side, she realized her efforts were in vain against his slumbering form. Irritation mingled with her exhaustion, and she hissed his name, hoping to rouse him. His eyes blinked open, a hint of annoyance flickering across his features at being disturbed.

Meerab's voice held a tinge of frustration as she questioned his actions, "Kya kar rahe ho ye?" The volume of her voice increased slightly, revealing her vexation.
(What're you doing?)

"Nazar nahi aa raha, sou raha hu," Murtasim retorted, his sleep-laden tone laced with irritation at the interruption.
(Can't you see I'm sleeping?)

"Mujhy thand lag rahi hai," she said, her gaze on the blanket that he had wrapped around himself.
(I'm feeling cold.)