Chapter 21. Lost

The next morning, Meerab watched as Murtasim packed his essentials for the upcoming trip to the village. The idea of Haya accompanying him gnawed at her, but the terms they had set for their marriage were clear. They had agreed to pretend to be a happy couple for the sake of their family, and those terms left no room for her own feelings. The emotional turmoil inside her was almost unbearable, and a soft, barely audible sob escaped her lips. Murtasim immediately looked up, concern etching his features, but Meerab quickly composed herself.

"Missing me already?" He teased with a playful smile.

"Khush fahmi hai tumhari ke mei tumhe miss karungi," she retorted, though deep down, she knew that her feelings were more complicated than that.

"Chalo koi bat nahi. I'll call you to make sure that you don't forget me altogether," he teased once more.

"Marzi hai tumhari," she replied with a nonchalant shrug before swiftly leaving the room, not wanting him to see the tears that threatened to escape.

Once outside, Meerab spotted Haya standing in the foyer, a triumphant smile gracing her face as Bakhtu carried her luggage to the waiting car. Just then, Maa Begum appeared to bid her niece goodbye. After their brief exchange, Maa Begum turned to Meerab.

"Tum tou yahi ho na?" she inquired.

"Ji Maa Begum," Meerab nodded in response.

"Chalo, acha hai. Aj beth ke kal wala hisab kitab mukammal kar lena," Maa Begum suggested with a warm smile.

Murtasim joined them outside and addressed his mother. "Chalye Maa, hum nikalte hain."

Maa Begum smiled affectionately and kissed his forehead. "Kheryat se jao beta."

Perhaps it was the triumphant look on Haya's face, or perhaps it was the looming task of pending accountancy work, but Meerab found herself saying, "Mei bhi sath chalungi."

Murtasim's face lit up with delight at Meerab's unexpected decision. Maa Begum, on the other hand, looked surprised by this sudden turn of events. However, she was happy to see that her daughter in law was finally realising her place.

Haya, who had been observing the scene with growing irritation, could no longer contain her anger. Her triumphant smile faded into a scowl as she muttered under her breath, her voice loud enough to reach Meerab's ears only, "This was supposed to be our time alone."

Meerab heard Haya's comment but chose to ignore it. Her decision to accompany Murtasim on the trip was driven by her own reasons, and she wasn't about to let anyone deter her.

Haya walked ahead of Meerab, making a deliberate show of quickly settling herself in the passenger seat of the car where her luggage had been placed. Meerab's heart sank at the sight, sensing Haya's attempt to assert her presence. However, just as her spirits seemed to dampen, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. It was Murtasim, gesturing her to his other car with a warm smile playing on his lips.

Meerab raised an eyebrow inquisitively, silently questioning his decision.

Murtasim chuckled and clarified, "Bakhtu will be driving that car, but my wife will accompany me."

Meerab's heart fluttered at Murtasim's words, a profound sense of relief washing over her. She watched with a mixture of satisfaction and amusement as Haya, who had been so eager to secure the passenger seat, got the shock of her life when Bakhtu climbed into the driver's seat instead. It was a sudden twist of fate that left Haya momentarily flustered.

Without hesitation, Haya scrambled out of the car and hastily moved to sit in the back, her initial confidence giving way to a more subdued demeanor. A low, almost involuntary chuckle escaped Meerab's lips as she witnessed this unexpected turn of events.