Chapter 17. Jealousy & Greed

"Tou akhir kar mil gaya tumhe khazana hmm..." Haya mocked at her. "Itna sab hone ke bawajood tumne yaqeenan lalach me hi Murtasim se Nikah kiya tha na? Aur ab tumhe uss ka phal bhi mil gaya. Aur ek wo hai jo tumhare sath humdardi karta hai, jis din usse tumhari asliyat ka pata lag gaya na Meerab, uss din wo tumhe chorr dega."
(So finally you did get the treasure huh? Despite everything that happened, I'm sure you only agreed to get married to Murtasim because you were greedy for his wealth. And now you are reaping the fruit of your decision. How foolish is he to sympathise with you day and night. The day Murtasim finds out about the truth, he'll surely leave you.)

The tone with which she spoke made Meerab extremely uncomfortable. Unknowingly, she had come to rely on Murtasim in their one month of marriage and the thought of him leaving her stirred a storm of emotions inside of her.

" Oh really? Mei ne lalach me shadi ki thi Murtasim se? Shayad tum bhool rahi ho Haya ke mere do baap hain, both of them are filthy rich and I'm the sole inheritor of their wealth." In normal circumstances, she would never address to Anwar as her father but right now she needed to show the truth of the situation to Haya.
(Oh really? I got married to Murtasim because I was greedy. Have you forgotten that I have two fathers, both of them filthy rich and I'm the sole inheritor of their wealth.)

"Chalo theek hai, maan li tumhari bat. Lekin ek bat yad rakhna, Murtasim tumhara kabhi nahi ho sakta. Wo sirf aur sirf mera hai aur mei usse legally bhi apna bana lungi jab wo tumhe chorr dega," Haya muttered through gritted teeth.
(Alright, even if that's the case you need to remember something. Murtasim will never truly be yours because he's mine and I'll make sure he legally becomes mine too after he leaves you.)

Meerab scoffed. "Tumhe jo karna hai karo Haya. Murtasim mera shohar hai aur iss khandan me talaq dene ka rivaj nahi hai," Meerab replied and Haya turned and left since she had lost for the time being.
(Do whatever you want to do Haya. Murtasim is my husband and you already know that divorces do not happen in this family.)

--------------------------

Meerab audibly gasped. The empty drawer meant only one thing, Haya had taken it and she had their conversation to base of her accusation on.

"Kya huwa Meerab?" Murtasim asked hearing her gasp.
(What happened Meerab?)

"Maa Begum ne jewellery di thi mujhe, I kept it here but it's not here anymore," she told him while realising how her mother in law would react when she found out that Meerab had been irresponsible.
(Maa Begum gave some jewellery to me for safekeeping. I kept it here but it's not here anymore.)

Murtasim inhaled sharply at her response, "Meerab are you sure that it was here? You may have misplaced it."

Meerab shook her head. "I'm one hundred percent sure that I kept it right here, inside this drawer, locked it up and placed the key in my makeup organiser so there was no way of anyone knowing the hiding place unless they watched me hide it."

"Do you doubt any of the maids?" He asked.

Meerab shook her head once more. "I have a doubt on Haya. In fact, I did feel that someone was in our room when I came in with the jewellery. But upon looking I found no one so I just assumed it to be a figment of my imagination. Now I'm not so sure."

"Why do you think it's Haya?" Murtasim asked slightly surprised at how calmly she took her name.

"Firstly, there was no reason for any of the maids to be inside our room at that time. And even if there had been one, why would she hide. Secondly later that day Haya accused me of marrying you because of greed. And she went on to imply that she would make sure to separate you from me. I didn't know that she could stoop so low but there's no other explanation apart from this. Especially since the maids working here have been around for years and correct me if I'm wrong but I have not heard anything like stealing happen in this house. "