Xiii| Protection of friends

Italics: Finnish

●▬▬▬▬▬ ⋆🧊🇫🇮 ⋆ ▬▬▬▬▬●

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : I love it

"I got this feeling on a summer day when you were gone

I crashed my car into a bridge."

Anneli knew that things would be different now

Elijah didn't have that much of an impact of Anneli's life, if she was honest, but her whole dynamic with everyone else was certain to change too. Her friendship group would find out what happened, surely, and Anneli didn't know whether she'd tell them or Elijah would.

In fact, he'd turned up at her house, sober, the day after the event. Kimi wouldn't let him past the driveway and Mick was the one to leave the house and tell Elijah (as politely as he could) that Anneli didn't want to speak to him. From there, Elijah stormed off.

The following days of the incident involved a lot of sniffles, shivering and headaches for Anneli as she recovered from spending so long in the cold. Minttu had been worried but Anneli had assured her she was fine. Mick had spent the days cheering up too.

The moment when Anneli finally had her two best friends with her was one of pure happiness. Mick was sticking around until the end of the week before having to head to Italy to meet with Lamborghini. It was Wednesday so they had a few days.

"My favourite person!" Felipe Drugavich claimed as she fist-bumped Anneli.

"Rude," Jack joked. 

"One must not lie, Jack!" Felipe beamed.

"Warning that dad is a little bit...untrusting right now," Anneli warned. "He will be fine with you two but um, I broke up with Elijah."

"Oh, really?" Felipe did his best to hide his smile. "Very sad."

"It wasn't really."

"Knew it," Felipe threw his arm around her shoulders. "Anneli, I did not like the guy anyway. You are powerful, you do not need a man."

"What he said," Jack nodded.

"Idiots," Anneli laughed. "You are glad I love you too."

"Aww, you love us!" Jack teased. "Thought I'd never hear it."

"Shut up or I will throw you off that mountain tomorrow—"

"No you wouldn't!" Felipe gasped. "Imagine the news! Anneli Raikonnen throws stunning Brazillian f2 champion off a cliff!"

Anneli snorted as she rolled her eyes. 

Winter break was a good time for Anneli to get her fitness up and prepare herself for the coming season. She would do a lot of snowboarding, hang around her friends and just relax.

As they walked, Anneli stopped when her phone pinged.

"Who's that?" Jack questioned curiously.

"Uh I think It's Verstappen," Anneli replied honestly.

"Why is Max Verstappen texting you?" Jack questioned.

⋯⋯⋯⋯⊱🧊⊰⋯⋯⋯⋯

Unknown Number
Hey Anneli, it's Max
you gave me your number
in Abu Dhabi
How you doing?

Anneli
Hello Max,
I don't actually remember giving you
my number if I am honest with you.
I'm good, what is up?

Anneli created new contact: Max Verstappen

Max Verstappen
I'm not surprised you don't
remember, you were so drunk
but Christian mentioned you
Were doing sim work next week
do you want to meet up?

Anneli
Just you or Perez as well?

Max Verstappen
just me

Anneli
Okay

⋯⋯⋯⋯⊱🧊⊰⋯⋯⋯⋯

Anneli was a blunt texter and she was glad Max seemed to be as well; otherwise, it could have been very awkward. Besides, Max seemed nice enough when Anneli met him so she didn't mind meeting up with him.

"Neli, what happened with Elijah because she seemed on edge about it earlier?" Jack asked quietly. "You don't have to say but...your dad seemed really worried when we left the house."

The Finnish-born woman hesitated. She wasn't sure what she wanted to tell her friends but she also trusted them with her life. Anneli had known Felipe since she was a child as they crossed passed the crossing. She also raced with him in ADAC Formula 4 before he moved up ranks when she didn't. She'd spent Formula 3 and 2 with Jack. She trusted them.

"He wanted me to stop racing and thought the two of you were trying to...flirt with me so I broke his nose," Anneli replied smoothly. "In return, he drove off drunk and left me at the bottom of the mountain."

"I'll kill him, Neli," said Felipe strongly.

"Dad wanted to but Seb stopped him," Anneli replied, rubbing her arm. "It's fine. It's done. I'm heading to England on Monday and then it's winter break for me."

"Are you sure you do not want me to come as a security measure?" Felipe questioned softly.

"I second that," Jack nodded. "Or you could come to Australia with me?"

"No and no," Anneli shook her head. "Winter break is for spending time with my family and I'll be in Finland for a day or two visiting my mother but other than that, I need to stay in Switzerland."

"I am on speed dial," Felipe assured. 

"Enough of this soppy talk," Anneli demanded. "Let's get you two some snowboards and I'll show you how it's done."

To say Jack and Felipe were impressed was an understatement. They were fascinated watching Anneli snowboard, she had speed and agility...and she had a few tricks she knew. She didn't seem like the type of person who'd enjoy it if you looked at her. They respected her in many ways, even if she wasn't always the most emotion-filled friend.

One thing was sure, Anneli should never be underestimated.