Chapter 2: Wayward Thoughts

Time didn't stop at Dawn-Bridge while Malia was away. Upon her return, she was swept back up into the hustle and bustle of housework. The ball was to be held midweek but, nonetheless, everyone worked as though it was to happen that night, the moment the sun set.

Not allowing for the amount of work to faze her-she rarely ever did-Malia flitted from one task to the next, moving with a speed she often surprised herself with. The day waned on and she didn't let her thoughts slip from her work once. It was only when the servants later sat down to sup that her personal thoughts began to flood her mind. Thoughts of the day and how it began, thoughts of the Magistrate and his horrid brother, thoughts of the beautiful rose garden... Then back to the Magistrate.

From what Malia knew, Magistrate John Quincy was married to a woman named Abigail, who was said to have come from a very wealthy family from a town farther away from Lanfore, perhaps even from Hertfordshire. They had two young daughters, but Malia didn't know their names, only that the youngest was a year younger than James, and the eldest was his exact age.

To have such a life... Malia wondered if anything exciting ever happened for men such as the Magistrate, outside of wayward criminals and errands he had to investigate. To be with the same woman, wake up to the same face... He must have been like Mr. Boatwright with his wife, and loved her very dearly.

"I know that look, you're thinking about something."

Malia winced and turned to the smiling face of her friend and one of the footmen in the house, Brandon Dorsey. "I'm always thinking about something."

"That you are," he grinned. "Care to share your thoughts?"

"Nothing to share, really."

"Humor me."

Malia tossed her friend an irritated look that only slightly missed its mark. To be quite honest, if she was going to tell anyone of the events of the day, it would be Brandon. They were the best of friends, and had been since her arrival to Dawn-Bridge.

"I was sent to the Magistrate's home earlier this morning, to deliver an invitation for him and his family for the ball."

Brandon frowned at that. "Who sent you?"

"Mrs. Boatwright."

"But why?" He looked confused. "Why did she send you alone? Usually always someone goes with you."

"I haven't the slightest idea as to why, Brandon, I was only doing as I was told," Malia picked at her food. "I suppose she assumed I was capable of such a task. She was right, the invitation was delivered successfully."

"Did you run into the Magistrate while you were there?" Brandon sounded like was making a very good joke.

"I did, actually," Malia took a bit of amusement in her friend's shocked expression. "And his brother too. I think his name is... Robert?"

"You happened by the Magistrate and his brother?" Jane, another servant, asked, her wide blue eyes swimming with interest. "Is Robert as handsome as they say?"

"Jane!" Melinda, older housemaid, joined in on the conversation, throwing the young girl an apprehensive look. "Watch your tongue!"

"Oh, but I must know!" Jane whined, turning back to Malia. "Do say, don't hold such things to yourself."

Malia hesitated, but when all Melinda did was roll her eyes and shake her head, Malia felt it safe enough to continue. "The youngest Quincy was very handsome, but rather crude. The Magistrate was far more amiable, in his own way."