Chapter 35: To the Horizon, and Further Still

Lanfore, Hertfordshire

1 month later...

Abigail watched her daughters playing outside with the governess and, for the first time, smiled at the image. She knew she didn't deserve the leniency that John had given her, so she didn't say a word about him going off to London the way he had. She had no more rights to speak up against him on such matters, not after what she had done. Arthur, Roger, Addison, and Cromwell were both dead because of it.

Four lives gone and for what? Blind desire? The lust for something she couldn't otherwise have?

She thought about her husband's affair with Malia, and for some reason felt no remorse. Their marriage wasn't one meant for the storybooks. It wasn't the stuff of great poetry. What made it great and poetic were those on the side, those they sought solace in when they couldn't in one another. That was the tragedy, wasn't it? That was the beauty.

Without realizing it, Abigail had made her way out into the gardens where her daughters were playing. She realized then that she had never joined them, which was why Mrs. Evers looked shocked to see her.

"Ma'am!"

"May I join you?" Abigail asked. She saw Lucy turn to look at her and winced when she saw Arthur in her face. But then she smiled, and she saw herself. She smiled back. "Hello, my dear."

"Mama!" Lydia ran to her. Abigail knelt down just in time to catch her daughter in her arms. Then Lucy joined in as well, and she held both of her children close to her, feeling hot tears run down her cheeks as she stroked both of their hairs.

"I love you both so much," she whispered, pulling back to look at them. "And I always will. I am so sorry for any pain I have caused, but I will do better, I swear it."

"We love you, mama," Lucy said, and Lydia nodded.

"And I love you," she took them in her arms again, crying harder this time. "I hope I can prove just how much."

XXX

New Orleans, Louisiana

1 year later...

Brandon stood at the docks on the great Mississippi River and took in the sight he was growing so used to. The area itself was alive, thriving. New Orleans was a haven, and he was beyond excited to see what was in store for him. He wanted to know all there was to the river trade. He wanted to become someone greater than what was expected of him.

He gazed around as a gust of breeze wafted by. He closed his eyes and breathed it in, hearing Malia's words to him that night, the worlds that had affected him more than he had realized.

Leave this place, Brandon. Seek a better, happier life elsewhere. You deserve more than this place. You deserve more than this life. Go somewhere amazing, and find a happy life doing what you have always wanted. Promise me.

"I took the chance, didn't I?" He smiled. "And, as fate would have it, I was meant to."

"There you are, son!"

Brandon turned to see Charles Sibley striding over to him, a joyful smile on his face. "Good morning, sir!"

"We're gonna have to knock that accent out of you somehow, people may start to think it isn't an honest trade I run," he winked. "Come on, let's greet the day."

Brandon was more than happy to. He followed Mr. Sibley down to the river walk.

"You know," he said, turning to Brandon. "You're just about my boy's age. Ronald is his name. Perhaps you two should meet!"