Chapter 30: Spirited Away into this Fair Night

New Orleans, Louisiana, 1850

"After Addison's death, that town was never the same again," Dorsey said. The two men had retreated back into his study. There was a fire going now, and the room itself seemed to be dipped into a spicy smell of exotic cigar smoke.

"I can imagine," Ronald mumbled. "All because she had to be the one to deliver that note. God," he shook his head. "I can hardly believe that the Magistrate found out about his child."

"And you would never believe that he held true to his words," Dorsey said. "As far as I know, Lucy Quincy never found out about her real father. She was given a good life, one she would have never had if word had gotten out that Arthur Denning was her father."

"But to think that the Magistrate had to live with that truth all his life," Ronald shook his head. "If I found out that one of my children wasn't mine at all... Why, it would break me. It would crush me! I wouldn't know what to do with myself, I would never trust again."

Dorsey raised and eyebrow. "And do you not think that that is exactly how the Magistrate felt? Everyone in Lanfore saw it, though no one knew why. He was devastated, not the proud, confident man that he used to be. Rumors started spreading, those were dark days, to be sure."

"And, I am certain, Malia's departure did not help matters."

"No," Dorsey shook his head. "Which is why I felt I needed to rectify things. I played a part in sending her off, not realizing how much it would affect both of them."

"What did you do?"

"First, let me tell you about the last time I ever saw Malia..."

XXX

Lanfore, Hertfordshire, 1823

"I told them," Malia whispered to Brandon. They were both sitting in the dining room, with only one candle lit between the two of them. "It crushed them, I am sure of it, but it had to be done."

"Did you tell them where you are going?"

She shook her head. "No, they have no idea. I've packed all of my things, though. Everything is ready to go. Is it possible for me to leave tonight?"

Brandon frowned. "Why? That's a bit of a rush, Malia. You have to get some rest, it's a long trip from here to London!"

"I want to leave now before I change my mind, Brandon. I don't trust myself to wait until tomorrow, I just don't."

"I'm guessing that's why you haven't dressed yourself for bed..."

Malia nodded. "Yes, I'm ready to go now."

"But—"

"Brandon, can I leave tonight or not? Will your friend help me this... Mr. Crane?"

"I-I am sure he will, but I will have to go find him first."

"Oh, I'll go with you," Malia stood. "I don't want you to go do this by yourself."

"No, no, no," Brandon stood and pointed a finger at her. "You're going to stay right here. Mr. Crane said he is available to go anytime between these next three or so days, as an old family favor. I'll go fetch him, you stay here and make sure your things are ready."

Malia had no time to protest, as Brandon was already out the door faster than she could think one up. For a moment, she just stood there, and then quickly hurried up the stairs, moving slow because of the baby and so she didn't get caught. Then, she gathered the things she had stored away in an old broom closet, bidding silent and heart felt goodbyes to her friends as she passed by their rooms. Before finding her way back to the dining room, Malia acquired a paper and an old, sorry looking pen, and sat down to quickly scribble down a note for John. She couldn't leave him behind here without an explanation of some sorts. She owed him that much. How she was going to exist without him, she didn't know. That man was her world, he meant everything to her.