Chapter 24: A Tragedy

Malia awoke that night to the sound of screaming. At first, she thought she was dreaming. She reached across the bed for John, but felt nothing but empty space. Slowly, she sat up and looked around her, noticing with quick certainty that she was alone in the room. Hurriedly, she stood and hurried to dress. The screaming continued, and it caused Malia to shake.

What is going on?

Malia stepped out into the hall and looked around, frowning. Wrapping her shawl around her shoulders, she started towards the stairs, only to pause when she saw Lucy peeking out of bedroom door, her face the picture of pale curiosity and confusion.

"Lucy," Malia hurried to kneel in front of her. "What's wrong?"

"Mama is crying," she whispered, looking back to ensure that she had not woken her sister. "She keeps screaming at papa... She keeps mentioning his name..."

"Who, sweetheart?" Malia asked, stroking her arm. "Whose name?"

"Arthur."

Malia felt her heart pounding in her chest. "It is nothing to worry over, Lucy. Go back to sleep, I will see to your mother."

"But mama doesn't like you."

The girl's blunt bravado never ceased to amaze Malia. "Go back to bed, Lucy. Try and cover your ears. I will check up on you again after it's over, I promise."

Abigail screamed something incoherent once more, causing both Malia and Lucy to wince.

"Malia?"

"It's all right, Lucy, go back to bed," Malia stood. "Go on, now. I'll take care of everything."

But even as the little girl turned to do as she was told, Malia was still at a loss. What could she do? She didn't even know what was going on! What had happened to Arthur to cause Abigail to be in such a state? Was he dead? God, Malia hoped so, the world would be grateful.

Once again, she started down the way towards the stairs and took them quickly. When she reached the foyer, she paused to listen for conversation. She heard John's voice in the drawing room, and she followed it, only to find the footman, Roger, already standing in her way.

"It's a gift to always be in the right place at the right time," he drawled at her when she drew closer. "Isn't it?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Malia said, refusing to look him in the eye.

"Do you not?" He raised an eyebrow. "Tell me, Malia, did you ever wonder how Mrs. Quincy found out about your stint with her husband?" When she shot him a shocked look, he grinned and coldly nodded. "And now, I take it, you're wondering how I know?"

"You're a snake," she whispered.

"I was only doing as I was told," he shrugged. "Without protest, of course, I found it rather fun to stalk the Magistrate and watch him strip himself naked of his God complex. It was invigorating to say the least."

Malia scoffed and shook her head. "If you think so low of him, why do you serve him?"

"I do not think low of him at all," he assured her. "The Magistrate is an honorable man... Well, was, I suppose, right? Your ripe fruits seemed to do the trick in changing that, didn't it?"

Malia slapped him, the sound echoing around the halls. Almost as soon as it was done, she drew her hand back, her face painted with shock... But she didn't think to apologize.

Roger didn't seem at all perturbed. He just looked back up at her and laughed. "I pity you, you know. Couldn't find a place for yourself, so you decided to bed the top man in town."