Chapter 29: The Breaking

Malia managed to gather most of her items but, in the process, she quickly realized that she didn't have much at all. In fact, she had enough to squeeze into one decently sized bag, and that was it. The necklace, of course, she wore, but tucked it underneath the blouse of her dress to keep it out of sight. When she left her room to prepare Mrs. Boatwright for bed, she mulled over what she was going to say to her. She did love Mrs. Boatwright a great deal, and stood by her former statement: she was not going to leave without letting them know.

I won't tell them about my pregnancy, but I will let them know that I am leaving. It is the least I can do for all they have done for me.

Those were the words that she repeated to herself over and over again as she made it to the door of the Boatwright's room. Before entering, she took a deep breath and decided to knock instead. She normally did that, but recently Mrs. Boatwright had tried to get her to feel more comfortable with opening the door without such formalities. That woman was progressive like that, Malia supposed. It was one of the many things she loved about her. It was one of the many things that she was going miss when she left.

"Malia!" Mrs. Boatwright sat up with a bright smile when she entered. "How are you, my dear? Are you feeling better? George and I were just talking about you, it must have been so horrible for you to see that girl in the market today."

Malia's gut clenched at the thought of Addison's dead body and she had to swallow a good bit to keep from vomiting. The baby growing inside of her certainly wasn't helping at the moment; she felt the tears welling already.

"Dead so young, poor thing, and you so close to the same fate!" Mrs. Boatwright stood and wrapped her arms around Malia. "I am only glad that you were unharmed, Malia."

"I am, ma'am," Malia said, smiling lightly when she let her go. "Shall I prepare you for bed?"

The process itself didn't take very long. While Malia was turning the bed over, Mr. Boatwright walked in; clearly delighted to see her about her work, as if everything was normal, and they both did not encounter a very grisly dead body in the market. They were both so kind to her, it was making it harder and harder to convince herself that it was for the best that she left.

If you want to keep this baby a secret, you have to leave. Amys said she will care for you. Get out of here, Malia. Get out of here before he finds out... Before you convince yourself that you love him too much to stay.

"That will be all, Malia, thank you," Mrs. Boatwright smiled at her. "I saw some yellow roses in the market a few days past. Perhaps when you're ready, and Arthur Denning is dead for good, you can go make a purchase and display them here."

Malia opened her mouth to say that that would be wonderful, but then caught herself. She had to be strong. She couldn't go to the market anymore because she was leaving.

"Malia, is everything all right?" Mr. Boatwright frowned at her over his spectacles. "Good God, dear girl, you're white as a sheet!"

"Are you sick, Malia?" Mrs. Boatwright asked, suddenly concerned as well. "We should call for a doctor immediately."

"No!" Malia said quickly before catching herself and forcing out a smile. "No, I'm fine, really. Only, there is something that I was hoping to say, but I'm finding it hard to put it into words."

Mrs. Boatwright still looked confused. "You know you can tell us anything, Malia. You're family."

I wish she wouldn't say that. Why does she have to be so kind? Why can't she be a cruel, heartless witch like Abigail?