Chapter 28: Crescendo

Weeks later, Arthur was brought into the courtroom in chains, and led like a circus act before the congregation. The jurors jeered at him and he took their insults. Cromwell had been a well-loved citizen in Lanfore, so it didn't surprise him. He tried to shut it out and keep his eyes forward. When they met with the Magistrate, though, he wished he had kept them down.

John Quincy's expression was blank, but he glared at Arthur no less. He didn't know for what reason the glare was there for, him assaulting his lover or for him having an affair with his wife. Either way, there was enough that he had done to warrant the man's hatred for him. He was not getting out of this alive.

"Order!" The Magistrate barked when Arthur was settled. "I will have order!"

Besides John Quincy, there were two other judges present, both of whose names escaped Arthur. They both looked menacing enough. Good for him, though, he had no intentions of pleading for his life.

"Arthur Ross Denning, you have been charge with theft, assault, and the murder of a deputy of the law," the Magistrate said when the court had quieted down. His voice was deep and booming, carrying various hints of loathing. "How do you plead?"

"Well," Arthur stood straight. "This is quite complicated..."

"How complicated can it be?" The Magistrate barked as the jurors grunted amongst one another. "It's either guilty or not guilty, Denning. You face the gallows either way, so don't waste anymore of the court's time."

"I know this may not count for much, then, seeing as I am facing a date with the boatman before the sun goes down on this fine day," Arthur tried to keep the smile from forming on his face. "But see, I am not actually guilty of at least one of those crimes. I, in fact, did not steal those jewels, and I haven't the slightest idea who did. Now," he cleared his throat. "That does not mean that I am not guilty of those other two crimes. I did, in fact, assault the Boatwright's maid-"

"Criminal!" A man in the back barked. "I hope you rot in hell!"

"Mr. Boatwright, please," the Magistrate said, lifting a hand. "Outbursts like that will only-"

"I will calm down when he swings," Boatwright growled. "He's traumatized that poor girl. I swore to her father, the decorated Colonel Raver, that I would care for her. She has been nothing but sick to the stomach since returning from protection, and he is to blame!"

Arthur saw a look cross the Magistrate's face that spoke of concern, but he was gone as soon he recognized it, and replaced with the cool façade as before. "Be that... As it may, Mr. Boatwright, we all want this man charged as much as you do. Allow us to do our jobs."

Arthur heard Mr. Boatwright mutter something under his breath before he sat back down. Then, he coughed and looked back up at the Magistrate. "And, for the record, I am guilty of murdering Cromwell. That I can say for certain. I murdered him in cold blood, and assaulting and attempting to murder the Boatwright's maid because she was the only witness. Then, their footman came to the rescue and a fight broke out. Charge me for that too if you wish, but a man can only hang so many times."

He knew he sounded a touch too calm for a man facing the gallows, but how else should he have been? Despite just finding out that he had a child, he had come to terms with his fate. He was going to leave something behind that the Quincy family would live with for the rest of their natural lives. What reason did he have but to rejoice?

"So, Arthur Denning, you plead guilty to two of the three charges?" One of other judges asked.

"I do."