Chapter 3: A Ball at Dawn-Bridge

Dawn-Bridge was coming together well for the ball. Bouquets were ordered in and distributed all around; the cooks were gathering the ingredients to prepare for the menu, the tiles were being varnished, the lamps and windows dusted, and everything was falling in place.

Malia flitted from one end of the house to the next, carrying bundles in her arms to the cook, to the florist, to the other maids, and on and on and on. She ran the whole length of the house so many times, she was certain her feet would come detached from her ankles and trot off on their own. Her legs were incredibly sore and she would have sold her soul to sit down for a minute and catch her breath. But work still needed to be done. The ball was tonight-it was if the week had passed right before her eyes!

"See these flowers to the foyer," Malia instructed a young servant, handing her a large bundle of pink roses. "Three roses to every bouquet, find me if you run out!"

The girl hurried off to complete the chore and Malia rushed back to the cart that sat outside the servant's doors. A few more flowers waited to be sorted out, but most of the ones Mrs. Boatwright wanted were already being used. Malia picked out a few more of the roses before paying the man off and sending him away. She ran inside again and distributed them once more to the servants, instructing them on where they should go.

"These are last resort," she said, handing a maid the batch of small daisies. "A handful to each bouquet should do. They're meant to give them body, not to be seen."

After those servants were gone, Malia turned to see what else needed to be done. It surprised her to notice that the house had actually come together quickly; it was as if the better part of the week had not been spent preparing for the ball. It really felt as if all it had come together this morning instead.

"Malia, come here a moment?"

Turning, Malia saw Mrs. Boatwright standing in the middle of the hall and she quickly rushed to attend her. "Yes, Mrs. Boatwright?"

"I wanted your opinion," she said, gesturing for Malia to follow her to the foyer. When they arrived, she pointed to the windows on either side of the doors. "I was thinking we will draw the curtains only slightly, give the guests a surprise when they enter the house. What do you think?"

Malia nodded. "It would certainly work, then they won't be able to see much from the outside, but just enough to shock them when they enter."

"I thought so too," Mrs. Boatwright beamed. "Ahhh... I will give them a splendor to walk into, they will not even know what to think!"

"It all looks lovely, Mrs. Boatwright," Malia said honestly. "I am sure they would love it, surprise or not."

"Are the guest bedrooms prepared? We may have many stay over the night."

Malia nodded. "All of the third and fourth floor bedrooms have been turned over and are cleaned and ready."

"And the gardens?"

"Not a weed in sight, ma'am."

"The fountain?"

"I ordered it to be dried, cleaned, and polished this morning, it should be running again by tonight."

"Oh, and I meant to ask you, my dear, but I kept forgetting," she laughed. "You are certain the Magistrate received his invitation?"

Malia paused before nodding. "I-I actually ran into him as I was leaving his home. Him and his brother, the younger Mr. Quincy."

That seemed to shock Mrs. Boatwright. "But the only reason I sent you there was because I was sure they were not going to be there! What of Mrs. Quincy? Did she see you?"